You Have ...... New posts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I use the information bit on the main page of bcuk which has a link to all the posts made since you last logged on but it seems to only last 15 minutes. So as I'm connectionless at home at the minute I get to work on Monday and there are 3 pages of threads to read. But after reading a few and actually doing some work the rest disappear and I don't get to read them. I know they are in the sections (edged tools etc.) but it's tricky to go and find all of them especially once you get used to clicking the new posts bit.

So question.... can I keep the list of new posts until I have read all that I want and then reset it or can I get rid of the info bit and just go back to finding new posts in the sections by by the coloured markers?

Bill

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Adi will probablly have a better idea on this (or a way we can fix it on the server), but this is what i tend to do if i'm reading post in dribs and drabs.

I open up the "new posts" page and then on every new thread you're interested in, open up in a seperate window (you can either "SHIFT and click" on the link, or, right-click "open in a new window" )

This way you keep the "new posts" page open and then can link to any of the new posts at your leisure.

If there's more than 1 page of new posts, you may need to open up each page in a seperate window the first time the first page loads. I have a feeling, if you leave it a while then click on page 2 after 20 mins, all the new posts may be cleared.

If i'm going to read posts in one go i usually do the same thing, but i just open up the "new posts" page, then shift-click on any i'm interested in, let the load up in the background, move to page 2 of the "new posts" page and do the same, then close the new posts page and go back and read all the ones i've opened up... sometimes there's a fair few open!

Works for me though.

cheers :)
Carlo

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Any other advice from admin on this? I opened bcuk this morning and had to then go and make coffee and when I got back the 107 new posts link took me to only 2 new posts because it had reset while I was away. This is more annoying then not being told how many posts there were since you logged on. It's like torture being offered it then it disappearing.

Please tell me how to change the setting.

Bill

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The way that Carlo has described it is the best way to work with the vBulletin board. See, the unread posts are generated on the criteria on when you last were active on the board and then in you timeout (that is, remain inactive for a fixed period of time - in this case 15 mins) all posts are marked as unread.

The reason behind this way of operating revolves around the fact that vBulletin is designed to handle a large number of users being connected to the board at any one time and this is seen as the most efficient way to handle resources.

Personally, I don't like it and think that it's a major aspect of bad coding in the board but as far as I can see the whole system is deeply bound into the application and there are no tweaks that can be made ... however, a new version might bring a different way of handling unread posts.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Ok thanks guys. It doesn't matter if you are inactive because if you are looking through the 107 posts it still marks them read after 15 minutes. It is like the crystal maze or something,

'you have 107 posts to read in 15 minutes.............GO'

Is there a way to get it off the index page altogether so I can just go back to looking at each section in turn and find new posts? I prefer blissful ignorance of the amount of posts to the ticking 15 minute clock of disappointment which I get at the moment. I don't think Martyn includes it on the BB homepage?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Giancarlo said:
Adi will probablly have a better idea on this (or a way we can fix it on the server), but this is what i tend to do if i'm reading post in dribs and drabs.

I open up the "new posts" page and then on every new thread you're interested in, open up in a seperate window (you can either "SHIFT and click" on the link, or, right-click "open in a new window" )

This way you keep the "new posts" page open and then can link to any of the new posts at your leisure.

If there's more than 1 page of new posts, you may need to open up each page in a seperate window the first time the first page loads. I have a feeling, if you leave it a while then click on page 2 after 20 mins, all the new posts may be cleared.

If i'm going to read posts in one go i usually do the same thing, but i just open up the "new posts" page, then shift-click on any i'm interested in, let the load up in the background, move to page 2 of the "new posts" page and do the same, then close the new posts page and go back and read all the ones i've opened up... sometimes there's a fair few open!

Works for me though.

cheers :)
Carlo
Works for me too

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
tenbears10 said:
I will give it a go but I don't think this pc will handle 107 explorer windows open at once.

Bill
You don't have to open them all at once ... just keep the swearch window open and open each thread individually.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yep, Carlo's method works for me too. Been surfing forums using this method for years and it's by far the best way of keeping track of what you've looked at and what you havent. But more recently, I tend to look at "todays active threads" because no m,atter when you look at it, it will show all the threads that have been active in the last 24 hours. This is only reliable if you check in at least once a day though.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That's the great thing with Mozilla - you can open new "tabs" in the same window so although I might be looking at 30 pages at a time (it happens), I only have 1 browser window open. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE