yorkshire pudding troubles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
the scouts and i are having trouble makeing yorkshire puddings on a open fire.we are going to denmark camping for 2 weeks only cooking on fires.we are to cook something of a local delacasy to give to the other campers from around the world. having been from yorkshire we thought it apropriate. weve tryed cooking in a dutch oven as a oven and putting yorkshire pud tray inside with and without coals on the top but they just burn or dont rise.we have also tryed raising it up of the direct heat.but no luck.have also tryed using cake tins but they didnt work eather.any sugestions...:) thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds like the pan is far too hot - you aren't doing it on a huge bed of coals with loads heaped on top are you?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye low/med heat with a pre-heated tin with oil/fat in it already. should rise nicely but it does need to be a low/med heat. 180* in the oven gas 4. a camp fire is alot hotter then that.
the oil/fat in the bottom should be hot so that the bases cook quickly ensuring they rise directly upwards ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buy a few packs of Aunt Bessies from Iceland and just heat them through. If they are being fed to foreigners, they won't know the difference.

Eric

Dear Gods what have those things got to do with yorkies? They should be sued for putting those foul tasteless carboard monstrosities in a pack labelled yorkshire pudding!

Gods its a basic batter cooked in an oven - who the hell needs that done for them? Okay I can get needing to experiment with a dutch oven if its new to you...but frozen yorkies...thats a flogging matter!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Toddy, my mother's people were all imigrants from Scotland, and when I was a boy my mother used to cook something she called "Johnny Bull" pudding. I cant remember all the ingredients but I know it had a lot of suet in it and I think raisins. It was twisted up in a cloth and boiled. Served with a brandy sauce. ( we never had brandy at our house and she always substituted some Jack Daniels bourbon.)

It was really delicious, and didn't seem to contain fat at all after it was cooked. My question is: What is the proper name of this pudding?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Jamin, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Back to dutch oven cooking. I'm not sure what I'm going to share with you will be helpful for your upcoming trip, but It sure might be helpful for later on.

Here in the States, we have a cable network called "RFD TV". (RFD originally stood for Rural Free Delivery.) This was the free delivery of the U.S. mail to people who lived in the country and not in cities. Started circa 1900. Anyway, This is a cable network devoted to things of a rural nature.

One of these programs is called "Dutch Oven and Camp Cooking." It is hosted by a guy named C.W. Welch, who used to be an Idaho Department of Fish and Game officer. Somewhere along the way he became well versed in dutch oven cooking.

He is somewhat of a "character" but he really can cook in a dutch oven and he cooks all kinds of things.

I think if you Google RFD TV you can find his show and then find his recipes. I've never seen a bad one. I'm guessing you might be able to P.M. him and get some advice if need be.

Good Cooking!

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
but they just burn or dont rise.we have also tryed raising it up of the direct heat.but no luck.have also tryed using cake tins but they didnt work eather.any sugestions...:) thanks

Keep trying. I've not done them outside myself, but a google found a recipy.

stormmtn.phpnet.us/cook_offs/Round_Up_07/files/Recipe_Book/Recipes.pdf

Yorkshire's are easy, both to get right and to get wrong. Your tin's need to be shallow, that's the mistake that I keep making every time I produce horrid toad-in-the-hole. The fat and tins need to be hot, smoking, but if a domestic oven is too hot they will burn as they attempt to rise. I note that the link recommends reducing the heat (coals) halfway through cooking. Also how long you cook them for and how hot depends upon the size of the pud, at least according to the instructions I got from my gran. Larger ones need longer cooking and more moderate heat. A modern tip (cheat) is to mix in carbonated water just before you pour as it helps them rise.

Given DO constraints I'd investigate individual shallow pie dishes and try a few times in a domestic oven. Some report better results with more solid tin's heated to hotter than the oven. In the DO I'd use a rack to ensure that they did not get direct heat
I'd also use a oven thermometer during my experiments until I got a better grasp of how to judge the DO's temperature to the precision required.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All this advice for forgieners :lmao:

Hot oven, single large pudding cutting into portion, or several large ie loaf tin and served first - as a starter.

Then for desert cold pudding with either jam or for a savoury final course vinegar and butter.

Do not forget the Yorkshire salad as well.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
thanks for the tips. i wasnt putting too many coals on the top just 1 or 2. we was makeing just 1 large 1 at a time in a 8 inch dish going to try cooking them induvidualy in mr kiplin pie cases. using aunt bessie isnt a option.how would i transport and keep froven for about a week. i like the soda idea. and till look at the usa guy and see what he says. will keep trying.have had about 8-9 goes so far.lol.just a excuse to get a fire going i think.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE