YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Yep, I remember the Yipee stage too ... next comes the running and the screaming! :wink: :lol:

Contratulations!

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Well done fella, have you tried relighting previously burned firedogs with your firestriker yet? I had heard about this some time ago, but hadn't bothered trying it till last night. I selected a log that was removed from the previous nights campfire and cast some sparks on it- immediately had glowing log! A few minutes blowing and the log was once again in flames- just to see if this was a fluke I then did the same with a second log with no difficulty (both logs had completely cooled). The part burned log acts a bit like charcloth!

Try it out.
Blue Sky!
Jim. :-D

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Cheers fella, I find it's usefull every now and then to just play with different materials to see what works. This one was in Mr Mears's Bushcraft book (although it sounds a bit dubious it's a hell of a lot faster than fire by friction and because you are lighting thick wood you get a sizeable fire with little kndling required.

I got some of this maya dust the other day- it's very light and gets blown away too easily, admittedly it gives a nice flame but to be honest I think I'll stick with making my own tinders. Anyone else given this a go yet?
:bu:
Blue Sky,
Jim.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
JimFSC said:
Well done fella, have you tried relighting previously burned firedogs with your firestriker yet?

Yes i tried this at a recent course i attended in april, worked a treat had a fire going in no time thanks to that method:!:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
JimFSC said:
I got some of this maya dust the other day- it's very light and gets blown away too easily, admittedly it gives a nice flame but to be honest I think I'll stick with making my own tinders. Anyone else given this a go yet?

Picked some up a week or so ago - I've only played with it briefly, and it seems OK - but I prefer other tinders too.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
JimFSC said:
:bu:
Blue Sky,
Jim.

I bought some last year when it was being sold off (along with strikers) at a local outdoors shop. I think they had tried to stock up on "Ray Mearsy" items and found a limited market. Maya Dust works pretty well if you take precautions against it blowing everywhere - snuff users should be familiar with this sort of thing - but it's an expensive way of getting a fire going. I decided to keep it in reserve for those days when my meagre bush skills fail me and I'm tempted to reach for the Zippo. At the regular price I simply cannot recommend it.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
bigjackbrass said:
At the regular price I simply cannot recommend it.
Yeah, for what is in essense a few pence worth of maya wood shavings, it is darn pricey!

It does what is says on the tin but something like WetFire would be better and cheaper.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I've been teaching my eldest to use a knife properly. He has an excellent cottage industry going in shaving maya sticks to produce his own maya dust. One maya stick makes an unbelievable amount of dust, which goes to show how the purchased dust has a huge mark-up. Still, my son will have to make a shed load of dust to pay back the estimated cost of bringing him up until he's eighteen: Maybe I could hire him out............................!!!!???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE