yew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i know the berries from a yew are poisonous and a decoction of the bark is one of the strongest vegtable poisons known so my question is to all the knowledgable people , what about burning the wood? also other trees please, cos it would be tragic to say"welcome to my fire" and then something tragic happens , cheers al :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yew wood when burn't will give off toxic fumes... so leave well alone for fire making and utensils, the toxins are in the sap (hence berries and bark).

As a point of interest.... The Yew tree was seen as sacred by many european tribes all the way to saxon times. There are records of pagan priests/shamen sitting under yew trees on hot days to gain 'visions'.... this effect is atributed to the poisonous sap.

Ed

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
once again ed , thankyou very much :-D , the yew is also a symbol of rebirth which is why its found in grave yards alot, i learnt that from a book i got from avebury stone circle called " a tree in your pocket" wich is full of old lore etc and a nice little read, thanks again , al :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Al,
Those Yew berries taste mighty fine. They are one of the sweetest fruits to eat at this time or year. The pip inside them is the poisonous bit so spit that out. Happy grazing :-D PS Yew wood makes a very good firedrill handle as its so waxy
Rich

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Yes! Yew is very toxic!! The whole tree is poisonous. You can eat the red fleshy berries but do not under any circumstances chew the seeds. Consuming as little as thirty seeds can lead to death and a very painful one at that!

Yew toxins were used over most of Europe to smear on to arrowheads. This made them absolutely lethal. They used to make an extract from the seeded arils and then this extract was distilled which concentrated the poison ( don’t try this at home kids).

Cheers

Jack
Woodland Organics.

PS.

The Vikings used yew wood for nails in the building of the long boats and Yew does make good firewood but don’t burn it, carve it!!

PPS. I have great story of Yews being able to put you into a trance, but I will leave that for another time!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yeah i did know the wood etc was very toxic but wondered about burning it as there seems to be conflicting views on this , and as for the eating berries (no offence intended)but i didnt sit well with that one, cheers al

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Tried them there berries today. They sure is some tasty berries. The clear "snot" was a bit of a surprise though.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As I recall the story from a military history course taken ages ago, yew was a strategic commodity in the age of archers. The folk were required to produce it. It could not be raised in the "commons" since it would kill the stock, so it was raised within the walls of church yards. (Interestingly enough, deer eat it like candy, as I can witness to my sorrow. Deer are the "large rats" of suburban Ohio.)

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
The course was "Military History of the British Isles," Professor Harry Coles, The Ohio State University, 1966. Coles had just returned from a year of lecturing at the National War College. (And they certainly don't call it that any more! ) (TOPIC VEER WARNING: Hope to visit some day. My dad's people came from Linton in the lowlands [So why is it the "High Road to Linton?].)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
martin said:
Tried them there berries today. They sure is some tasty berries. The clear "snot" was a bit of a surprise though.

You're a brave man. Most of the professional outdoor/wilderness skills people I know don't go near them, it just isn't worth the risk. I have heard that they are good, but just be careful :uu: You could be stone dead if you had made a mistake.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Well I'll be .............

I thought by now it would be the "National Peace Institute" or something rather like that. No more "Secretary of War," but still a "National War College." :-?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE