yew for handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mahalo h2o. I was looking for enough for a couple of knife handles plus an extra long machete handle. And enough for a bow stave. My friend is a blacksmith and he wants to make me a knife with a yew handle as well as reprofiling and rehandling my machete. He has started to take a fancy to yew and would also like to make a knife and bow for his 9 year old daughter.

I have no idea how much wood that would be, but I would like to give it to him if it isn't too expensive. What do you want for the yew? And if you wouldn't mind giving me a postage quote too, I would appreciate it.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hi Hanzo,

Why not look at your local timbers...there must be good bow wood and perfectly servicable wood for handles on Hawaii...seems a bit anti the spirit of bushcraft to be posting lumps of wood half way across the globe to me.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Actually, I had intended to use some local wood like koa, but my blacksmith friend has taken a liking to yew because of the stories and significance behind yew. Also, he tells me that recovered ancient artifacts have deteriorated parts, yet preserved yew. So with that said, and since I am the learner here, I will give yew a try.

My friend has purchased his yew bow staves already, so I am just looking to supply the yew for the machete and knife handles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE