Xenon bulbs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
All i know is that with LEDs efficiency goes down as you increase the power to it, and with incandescent bulbs the efficiency goes up as you increase the power. So, maybe, as you start it up it's really inefficient because the resistance in the tungsten element is different than when it is fully lit...but that too is probably bull!

Sure he wasn't talking about running the torch on LEDs for 5-10 mins? he may have been regurgitating that and getting it slightly wrong.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well, Xenon is incredibly bright. LED bulbs are great for conserving battery power, and put out enough light for puttering around camp. I wouldn't want to go ice-climbing with LED's, they're just not bright enough, even when grouped together. Incandesent bulbs are brighter, but give you less battery life. Xenon is hellishly bright, but it absolutely kills your batteries. My Petzl lamp is compatible with halogen bulbs, but it absolutely destroys my battery life.

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
Definitely rubbish, that would mean flash your light on and off 10 times would flatten the battery, a quick experiment will show you this is not the case, what he may mean is that the bulb life is reduced the equivalent of 15 mins each time you turn on which may be true.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
There are of course Luxeon LEDs which are bright (100s of lumens :D), and also very white if used and made properly, but i would imagine the slight yellow tinge of a xenon lamp might be easier to use ice climbing since it would provide a contrast to the white of the ice!

Jan 18, 2006
northern ireland
Celt_Ginger said:
I reciently got a new head torch with LEDs and a Xenon bulb for distance lighting. The shop told me that it takes as much battery power to actually light the xenon bulb as it takes to run it for 5 or 10 minutes. Was he Bull S***.ing me or is there some truth in this?

bushtuckerman said:
Sure he wasn't talking about running the torch on LEDs for 5-10 mins? he may have been regurgitating that and getting it slightly wrong.

this could be the case but it sounds abit high, if its a petzl torch they ofen have little graph on the back to give you an idea of power consumption of the leds and xenon

out of intrest, did you get it in mid antrim camping :)

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Celt_Ginger said:
I reciently got a new head torch with LEDs and a Xenon bulb for distance lighting. The shop told me that it takes as much battery power to actually light the xenon bulb as it takes to run it for 5 or 10 minutes. Was he Bull S***.ing me or is there some truth in this?

There is some truth in this - I was told something similar by a rep for one of the headtorch manufacturers.

The same thing is apparently true of most fluorescent lights, like the ones most people have in their kitchens. They are more efficient if they are left on permanently as they use the most energy in a brief power surge when you turn them on.

The reason kids are told not to flick standard fillament lights on and off is because the power surge can cause the fillament to burn out.

Jan 18, 2006
northern ireland
Celt_Ginger said:
Hello Dave Law. Strangely enough, I was in Mid Antrim Camping yesterday (Saturday) but I did not buy the head torch there. The torch is a Black Diamond Helois with 3 LEDs for proxminity lighting and 1 Xenon for distance. I know a Dave Law. Big Tall chap with a beard. Is that you?

sorry dont think so, i would be quite big and tall but no beard, i am from ballymena though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE