WW2 leather jacket....but what is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I was given this t' sell on by a friend a couple o' years ago...(yeah I know...shoulda gone by now, but hey....I'm a stickler fer findin' out the RIGHT description o' something..lol).
Tis very stiff black leather that softens the more ye has it on....tis lined wi' Blue/grey blanket material (very rough an' itchy)....Some have said it's a german tank com'r jacket....Which I doubt....I think it's more ww2 'air corps'....but there is no labels showin'....an' I'm loathed t' unstitch the blanket material inside the coller, just in case I can't sew it back again...
Now I've trolled the webbage t' find a pic o' another one....but t' know avail...but....last night I flicked the channel on the goggle box an' 'Sam neil....(I think that's his name..the guy in 'OMEN'..JURASSIC PARK..MERLIN')....was wearin' the exact same thing!
Anybody got ANY ideas?...

Jacketfrontclosed2.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Has it got a split back/ vent at the skirt ? It looks like the old motorcycle riders winter coat. Used to be worn with leather trousers and high legged boots. The helmet was very like those that aircrew wore, and they generally had gauntlets so the cuffs are close strapped at the wrists.

Won't swear that this *is* one but it's awfully similar. Should have a belt though.

cheers,
Toddy

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
No toddy...no split.....has a belt strap at the back but it's sewn in an' is non adjustable (no buckles)....The inside pocket is leather topped in black wi' a canvas cotton liner.
I'll see ifin I can find more photies o' it....(I did a load a while back fer sellin' it).

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Nice one Sandbender....there is a photo o' a sim'r jacket worn by a fella standin' in front o' an' ol' soppwith.....so a defo leanin' t'wards the air corps...as I suspected.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
That IS the jacket/coat fella..lol.....I've had it ages....when I gets an actual..''YES, IT'S THIS TYPE FER SURE'' (hopefully wi' some pic evidence)...off someone...I'll reasearch the prices that they be goin' fer an' we'll cut a deal fella. Till then...the search continues fer it's actual make/uses.
Cap'n.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
can i ask what the buttons are made out of and how they're sewn on?
ww1 would have had metal or at least stamped buttons (as would ww2) although i guess someone would have replaced em over time but its worth checking.
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE