Writing a letter asking for permission to camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 7, 2011
Hampshire
Hiya,

About to embark on writing a letter to seek permission to camp in some woodland and wondered if anyone here has some experience in these matters and can offer advice?

I'd prefer to do it face to face however the only entrance to this woodland appears to be a track which has a gate across it, with a letterbox attached. Looking on Google earth it appears there is a house just inside the treeline (in a clearing) but the woodland itself seems to be just left wild (little management).

I'll pop by the farm next door first to see if they know any more (it might even be their woodland!)

But yes, any advice on things that I definitely should say, and things I definitely shouldn't say would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2010
bristol
for what it's worth a lot of people won’t know what bushcraft is so don’t say "can I do bushcraft in your wood" considering some of the other less savory nocturnal activities that go on you may not get the response you want. Start by just asking for access, if you can wing-it (sorry about the pun) and know enough about birds say you are a "Twitcher", or a nature photographer -something they can understand. I have found the direct approach “please could I spend some time in your wood, its unmanaged/natural/wild etc and I am interested in something, are there any dear in it , trying to identify where the buzzards are nesting, is the periwinkle in bud” you get the idea , firm hand shake, bottle of nice wine (bribe) and being smart (not dressed in combat / cameo gear) on first approach has been successful, then spend some time there (be seen coming and going) but leave No Trace (the landowner on one of my permissions still doesn’t believe that I light a fire whenever I use his wood, as he has never been able to identify where I camp) - point out old/damaged/dangerous trees - offer to take them down, ask the owner if could cut some wood for them etc., don’t block their or their neighbor’s gates/tracks/etc., I would also suggest that you let them know in advance whenever you intend to be there, thus avoiding any confusion, getting and keeping a permission is I think about trust and this comes with time and building relationships, after time you can start asking about snares, shooting, etc. etc., but I wouldn’t raise any of that on first introductions.
Good luck
steve

Jul 7, 2011
Hampshire
You know, I really did search for it (as advised by MoT) but I just didn't see that topic. Thank you for the link, and thank you Steve, for the advice.

Personally I wouldnt lie whats wrong with asking if you can camp in the wood without a fire?
I certainly wouldnt ask about deer, interested parties tend to lamp them with crossbows.

for what it's worth a lot of people won’t know what bushcraft is so don’t say "can I do bushcraft in your wood" considering some of the other less savory nocturnal activities that go on you may not get the response you want. Start by just asking for access, if you can wing-it (sorry about the pun) and know enough about birds say you are a "Twitcher", or a nature photographer -something they can understand. I have found the direct approach “please could I spend some time in your wood, its unmanaged/natural/wild etc and I am interested in something, are there any dear in it , trying to identify where the buzzards are nesting, is the periwinkle in bud” you get the idea , firm hand shake, bottle of nice wine (bribe) and being smart (not dressed in combat / cameo gear) on first approach has been successful, then spend some time there (be seen coming and going) but leave No Trace (the landowner on one of my permissions still doesn’t believe that I light a fire whenever I use his wood, as he has never been able to identify where I camp) - point out old/damaged/dangerous trees - offer to take them down, ask the owner if could cut some wood for them etc., don’t block their or their neighbor’s gates/tracks/etc., I would also suggest that you let them know in advance whenever you intend to be there, thus avoiding any confusion, getting and keeping a permission is I think about trust and this comes with time and building relationships, after time you can start asking about snares, shooting, etc. etc., but I wouldn’t raise any of that on first introductions.
Good luck
steve

Jul 7, 2011
Hampshire
To update this. I popped by the nearby farm on a hunch which played out. The farmer owned the woodland. I had my sons (2 and 5) in the truck with me and told him that I was on the look out for somewhere not infested with dogs and mountain bikes to take them to get them having fun rather than playing Wii etc (all this is true).

He was receptive to this but said the place is always being worked and has deer cull and vermin control in place very often, so he really couldn't let people in to walk about and had recently fenced it just inside the tree line on one side for this very reason.

A shame, but I have contacted some local parishes regarding other ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE