Wrecked hammock woe, advice pls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just wrecked my, new to me ukhammock. Noooooo. Perhaps I should have asked advice on how to hang, climb in etc first, but how technical can it be ?

I've been using my own dd with a single line suspension set up, no problems....

So.....
I hung it.....not sure of the angles required if any ? with whoop-de-chuffin-woops
Unzipped the midge net and stuffed it.
Backed onto the middle/head end.....started lifting my legs......rrrrriiiippp

5e740011-b0d4-ce2f.jpg

5e740011-b0e9-a824.jpg

5e740011-b0fa-56f6.jpg

5e740011-b116-3847.jpg

5e740011-b13a-a9b4.jpg

Was this the key ? Cause its the ridgeline it ripped on
5e740011-b18f-6941.jpg

Should the bottom end of the splice be nearer to the hammock ?
5e740011-b1d5-558c.jpg

5e740011-b20a-23ad.jpg

Hopefully I can get a new panel sewn in ?
5e740011-b23c-b3bf.jpg

I welcome your laughs and cries....could really use some advice...perhaps over the phone or google+
Cheers
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think it's a problem with the whoopies, it looks like you've got a lot of the fabric over the top of the ridgeline though. I've not seen that particular hammock in the flesh so maybe it's supposed to be like that.

I'd drop Mat a PM and see what he says, his work is usually very good so I'd be surprised if it was a failing from poor construction.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I don't have one of those hammocks, I have a WBBB but I don't think the zip should be running over the top of the ridgeline quite like that?

Apparently its a wbbb clone, but with a zip each side and no shelf or adjustable foot box. I can see where your coming from though.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I don't think it's a problem with the whoopies, it looks like you've got a lot of the fabric over the top of the ridgeline though. I've not seen that particular hammock in the flesh so maybe it's supposed to be like that.

I'd drop Mat a PM and see what he says, his work is usually very good so I'd be surprised if it was a failing from poor construction.

5c189799-b7a1-047e.jpg

5c189799-b7bc-b301.jpg

Cheers Rich, is he a member then ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I know he's snowed under with work after having a break but knowing Mat he'll sort it out if it's his fault.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I know he's snowed under with work after having a break but knowing Mat he'll sort it out if it's his fault.

It must be my fault ??? I'm unlucky enough. Trunks must have been using it like this with no problem .

I've dropped Mat a pm, but can see he's not logged in for a good while.

Now let's see if I can wreck the superfly :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You might be better to contact him through his site if he's not been on a while.

Do you think you might have sat on one edge and caused it to strain down one seam?

These hammocks have been out of construction for 18 months... Send it over to me and I will take a look and see if it's repairable. Possible to just put a new panel in but I will need to see what else is damaged first.

Causes maybe hung to tight between trees and loaded a little to heavy in the footbox area causing stress where the zipper passes the apex.

Mat

PM for address

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Sh!!!!te!

Sorry this has happened on the first outing fella, i know how excited you were. I'm gutted.

I have never had any issues with the hammock at all since day one. I gave it the once over on Thursday before posting, and it was immaculate.

I cant understand whats happened here. From the fisrt pic, it does look a little tightly strung, but...

Did you have the foot/head box pegged out tightly at the time? Or was the mozi net zipped back to the apex, totally unzipped, behind you, or flopping in your face?

I'm sure Mat will sort it. His work is top draw :) When you get it back, let me know. Maybe we can meet up somewhere between yours & mine and we'll go through setting it up. I'll bring you some pegs too, so you can use the marlin spike hitch.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers James, I totally unzipped the net and put it in the net sac. Didn't peg anything out. Just sat back in the middle and started to swing my legs in.
Looking back I may have held onto the ridge with one hand? Could that have contributed? Ps...loving the tarp, pity you ran out of theraband, neat guys them :thumbup:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Cheers James, I totally unzipped the net and put it in the net sac. Didn't peg anything out. Just sat back in the middle and started to swing my legs in.

Just as you should. Just out of interest, and you can PM your reply ;), how much do you weigh? I'm 15.5st, & the hammock should be fine upto 17st.

Looking back I may have held onto the ridge with one hand? Could that have contributed?

I can't see how holding the ridge would have caused it. But then again, i'm no expert on the dark arts of hammock physics. Maybe by pulling one end down, it stressed the other?

Ps...loving the tarp, pity you ran out of theraband, neat guys them :thumbup:

She's a beauty isn't she? To be honest, i was hoping nobody would buy it. It hurt wrapping that package up for you :(

As for the Theraband, i'm sure i have some left over somewhere. The house is chaos at the moment - we have been having our cellar tanked out - and my kit is all over the place.

If/when i find it, i'll post it on. Have you shone a torch on the guylines & line-locks yet? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE