Wrapping up in a tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
I am trying to find out if I can substitute a tarp for a bivvy bag. I mostly like to bivvy with a lightweight poncho/tarp for a bit of cover over the head and shelter from the wind. After watching a few videos on youtube of some people making a sort of fajita wrap using their tarp, i wondered if one could do away with the bivvy?

I suppose its not quite as quick as rolling out the bivvy but given that I normally put up my poncho anyway I have been considering doing away with the bivvy and poncho and just rolling with a tarp (plus waterproofs in bad weather).

I have noticed that the issue basha has press studs. Could this be used like a bivvy by wrapping yourself up in it and buttoning up the press studs? I have not seen a single video on youtube of someone wrapping up in a tarp and using it like a bivvy. I do not have a tarp so I am interested to find out if anyone has any experience using a tarp like this? Thanks in advance

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Before i had bivy bags i used to use a U.S poncho as a sleeping bad cover was ok ish but wont protect you the same in the rain, as you have two open ends and because the material is non breathable my bag got wet from condensation as well. Alright as a emergency cover i suppose.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Up until about 1988 ish the Army only used poncho's for overhead cover for a sleeping bag. No bivy bags

In fact only arctic units used rollmats so it was one poncho for the ground from a buddy and yours overhead

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Bivi bags are breathable, tarps aren't. Some older bivi bags were only sleeping bag covers and, while they kept rain off, suffered from dreadful condensation.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the advice. I never considered the breathability factor. I suppose wrapping up in tarp could be used at a push where its not suitable to pitch a tarp.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I've used a bivvy-style set-up with the issue poncho in a previous life. Use the press studs to shut one end (IIRC there are some internal studs designed to clip to the '58 pattern green slug for just this purpose) and the long side; tie the 4 corners to suitable trees etc. to keep them just off the ground, like a very low hammock; slide in the open end in your sleeping bag. If it's raining hard, close up the open end behind you, if not, you can tie a cord from one eyelet to a branch to let air in and keep it off your face. You need to seal up the hood too.

Your body weight pushes the centre of the poncho down but with the corners slightly suspended, no running water can get into your bedspace.

As has been said, the poncho is not breathable and this set-up can get a bit claustrophobic & sweaty if you're closed down, but you'll be basically warm & dry. As MikeLA said, you can do the same setup with 2 ponchos, sleeping side by side, and this gives you a little bit more room as you can suspend the centre/hood to create a more tent-like shelter.

Nowadays I prefer my hammock & tarp or Dutch army hooped bivvy - got soft!

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Your body weight pushes the centre of the poncho down but with the corners slightly suspended, no running water can get into your bedspace.
!

I would love to see this in action. Finding it hard to picture it in mind. You can´t get anymore minimal than rolling with just a poncho!

mrcharly said:
You'd likely hole the (relatively) thin fabric of the tarp on the ground.

But some lightweight bivvy bags are not much stronger than a tarp?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Having very recently spent 3 hours on a cold wind swept bit of marsh awaiting for SAR to find me, wrapped only in a poncho. My honest answer would be an emphatic NO! Or rather you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Decent bivvi bag everytime.

J

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Quixoticgeek said:
Having very recently spent 3 hours on a cold wind swept bit of marsh awaiting for SAR to find me, wrapped only in a poncho. My honest answer would be an emphatic NO! Or rather you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Decent bivvi bag everytime.

J

Thanks for the warning!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE