Would this Arcteryx work for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dd786

Nov 22, 2011
kent
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know what you thought about using an Alpha SV as an everyday jacket for going to work or getting around town. I would use it for the occasional winter hiking trips but that’s not the concern.

In black, the newer models are actually plain and smart enough to wear to a corporate office over a suit or around town but it is obviously also made for the outdoors. I am thinking I could get a coat that I could wear to work and also something I could use hiking and only have to splash out once.

Is it too hot to use when not in freezing temps and would it get too sweaty? Is the rainproofness of it actually any good? I see many reviews of it soaking through…

Also, would the upper shoulder/trap areas of the jacket get damaged by back pack straps when carrying 35-40+ Lbs loads?

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Good question. The Alpha SV looks to be Goretex Pro which as you probably know is their top end fabric, I have a Mountain Equipment jacket in a similar style with the earlier version of Goretex.

For some tasks Goretex Pro will be overkill, it’s designed to be tough for ice climbing and winter mountaineering. That being said the waterproof and breathability ratings are very good (can’t recall the stats). It will certainly be a LOT more breathable and waterproof than 99% of hunting or lower end brands so called waterproof fabrics.

You may sweat with incorrect layering (I.e. a cotton suit for work). You also have got pit zips to vent. I would be very surprised if it leaked though!

Most jackets like this (mine included) have extra fabrics at the shoulders specifically for carrying rucksacks.

Event is the main competitor and is basically early goretex, it needs more washing but is generally more breathable. For super breathable check out Neoshell.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have one ... an astonishing little house of a coat. I use it skiing when it is wet snow and for gettting around town and for standing in heavy rain. Its not a hiking jacket really ... well, it is for here where the word torrential is applicable ... but it isn't like a packable thing. It weighs a bit and is pretty bulky. You put it on, you wear it. You don't pack it on the off chance. It is like they say, you put it on when you are going out for the day, it is already raining very heavily and you know it isn't going to stop.

Unless you are a Pennine shepherd or something or work on a ski hill, go for something lighter. Arcteryx do great gear ... the Alpha FL is a top drawer coat (low on pockets though). The Norvan is light and good too. They have a ton. Look at the weights and pockets. Also, their stuff is so dialled in philosophically, you have to go try it on so as to, as it were, get it. Not like Outdoor Research or even Norrona, where you can more or less work out what the coat is about once you understand their sizing.

I looked long and hard at the Beta, but decided the huge cost didn't work out for what is essentially a stupidly overbuilt car coat ...

Personally, in this range of gear, I think the Norrona Recon is a better coat. And, I'd look at a Swazi Wapiti too ... Mears promotes them for a reason, I guess. The Arcteryx is designed for being active, so it is shorter than the Norrona or Swazi. If you need the ProShell, look at a Norrona Trollveggen a totally epic jacket, but it has a pronounced tail ... you'd look very, erm, modern wearing it in town if you weren't just getting off a bike :lol:

My SV is a few years old and mildly second-hand in any case. The new one costs like 900 dollars. It has this amazing irridescent finish. You could look like a scarlet starling if you want :) Mine's just a kind of muddy, bogstandard black :lol:

I am 6', and weigh about 210lbs. Usually my size for Arcteryx things is XL, sometimes L if I want a closer fit for mid and baselayer. The XL SV is gigantic and is, as with all the SV range, designed for multiple layering in actively hostile weather

Stories about wetting out are user idiocy, unless of course the reviewer was in the NorthWest Pacific, where I might lend some credence.

I wouldn't wear it to work in the office unless I wanted people to laugh and point

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

dd786

Nov 22, 2011
kent
Awesome, thanks for the replies Trout and Billy. I read elsewhere that the Norrona Recon would be a better option, apparently its also going to be better suited and more hardwearing for bushcraft too.
I think ill start looking for a deal on one of those!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I went the way of berghaus but that also is Gore-Tex pro, its light and pretty tough depending on the face fabric main thing is use the nitwax wash and reproof, the shell works so much better because of it.

Reactions: Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE