Worth the wait! (VW T5.1)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I was smitten mate. I wouldn’t have known where to start with a black Ducato LWB ex-freight van. The guy who converted it bought it to tow his Audi to Le Mans, hence the Audi grey respray. Mileage is high on it and the sliding door needs to come off and be re-hung, clutch has had to be replaced already, but it’s a cool van. The pics here are from the seller, they’re better than mine.

Not sure the tv is much use to us to be honest.

AED75-F3-D-CCE6-44-C5-BE66-581233-FF4377.jpg

7-D5-FED47-E486-4434-8541-CE6-F24-F88-D26.jpg

03-D173-CF-4-C42-44-A9-BBA3-C466-F0564-BAE.jpg

Sorry Sara, I’ve jumped in your thread. :surrender:
Very neat!

And I don't mind one bit! The more the better!

Reactions: Nice65

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Like the vw door mat. Might be hard to find a fiat Ducato or in my case vivaro one. It's vw van life only, like nobody uses other vans.

Reactions: SaraR

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They’re certainly popular, people love the T5. They drive well and are small enough to be used like a car, perfect for getting off for a few days surfing or climbing. Pricy to buy though, by comparison to others, though that’s in their favour if it comes to selling, they hold value.

We looked at everything from Bongo size up to LWB VW Sprinter. The Ducato is wider and more of a rectangular box than most, especially the Sprinter which comes in a lot towards the top. It makes it an ideal platform for a camper. There aren’t a lot about here, but on the continent they’re everywhere as work vans and campers. I’m fairly sure Hymer build on the Ducato chassis. Ugly brutes, but so well kitted and thought out.

Really it was the fact we didn’t need to do too much to it. I was all for a quirky and characterful self build in Pine or whatever but the more we thought of our needs the more I could see us spending years on the build rather than filling the water tank, switching the fridge on, bunging a duvet on the bed and driving off.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'd love to see pictures as when you got it done and hear more about what worked/ choices etc!
I'll see what I can do. I need to set up a hosting thingy to post pictures right?

We're getting a drivelodge roof fitted. They're still developing it for our van model, new shape swb vivaro. That'll hopefully be finished this month then into production. It's possible our van will have one of their first off the production line.

They're a bit more boxy in cross section than the others I think but there's a proper front spoiler to it so less noise when driving.

Not as streamlined and nice as sca or even austops roofs but unlike austops it's got the spoiler (heard the rubber strip in front of roofs without spoilers are noisier and tend to come loose). Unlike sca it's not got a massive premium to its price. £3500 fitted and colour matched when sca charge another 2k without colour matching.

The bed is crash tested Rib altair 112 2 seat I think. Anyway it's the one with the better folding system. The top seat surface goes underneath so no curved sleeping surface. You can raise up each end for reading in bed i guess. Anyway it's a premium seat. I think it's worth spending more on the seat/bed personally.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'll see what I can do. I need to set up a hosting thingy to post pictures right?

We're getting a drivelodge roof fitted. They're still developing it for our van model, new shape swb vivaro. That'll hopefully be finished this month then into production. It's possible our van will have one of their first off the production line.

They're a bit more boxy in cross section than the others I think but there's a proper front spoiler to it so less noise when driving.

Not as streamlined and nice as sca or even austops roofs but unlike austops it's got the spoiler (heard the rubber strip in front of roofs without spoilers are noisier and tend to come loose). Unlike sca it's not got a massive premium to its price. £3500 fitted and colour matched when sca charge another 2k without colour matching.

The bed is crash tested Rib altair 112 2 seat I think. Anyway it's the one with the better folding system. The top seat surface goes underneath so no curved sleeping surface. You can raise up each end for reading in bed i guess. Anyway it's a premium seat. I think it's worth spending more on the seat/bed personally.
Sounds cool, hope it works out well!

I was planning on a R&R bed but now I'm undecided as space and flexibility are important to us. For now we'll sleep on the floor until we have worked out what we really want/need. And maybe bring a tent and the hammocks :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They’re certainly popular, people love the T5. They drive well and are small enough to be used like a car, perfect for getting off for a few days surfing or climbing. Pricy to buy though, by comparison to others, though that’s in their favour if it comes to selling, they hold value.

We looked at everything from Bongo size up to LWB VW Sprinter. The Ducato is wider and more of a rectangular box than most, especially the Sprinter which comes in a lot towards the top. It makes it an ideal platform for a camper. There aren’t a lot about here, but on the continent they’re everywhere as work vans and campers. I’m fairly sure Hymer build on the Ducato chassis. Ugly brutes, but so well kitted and thought out.

Really it was the fact we didn’t need to do too much to it. I was all for a quirky and characterful self build in Pine or whatever but the more we thought of our needs the more I could see us spending years on the build rather than filling the water tank, switching the fridge on, bunging a duvet on the bed and driving off.
yeah I got the T5 kombi for the van and easy driving, but for a camper/" mobile home light" something boxier is a lot better! You Ducato looks ace!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ducati is possibly the most common camper and motor home base. My parents are on their third motorhome and I believe all were on the same chassis as the Ducato van. More powerful engine than Ford or Vauxhall vans.

We got a vivaro which is also more boxy than a vw. The wheelbase and outside length/ width is the same as an equivalent vw but it's bigger inside. We test drove a vw transporter or two for a similar price. They had a massive mileage and were 2 years or more older than what we got at the same price. Driving was a little better but 140bhp compared to 115bhp does that I reckon. Handling not much better. The real issue was that I didn't fit in them. Height was bearable but unless I'm driving all the time I couldn't fit in. It had three seats but the way it slopes in from the waist of the van means it loses space right where my shoulders would be. The drivers seat uses more space but the double passenger seat isn't wide enough due to the taper in at the sides.

The vivaro gives more internal space for a given external size. Sure it's not as pretty as a vw but once inside looking out does that matter? Mind you imho the new shape vivaro looks nice for a van. Ford custom is a bit nicer but dodgy oil pump equals expensive new engine after not many miles. It shares engine with ranger and some land rover defenders. Google engine problems and you'll find lots about it including Facebook groups that promote the issues and solutions. Ford's wiped their hands of the problem. Very poor customer service apparently.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mine has the Multijet engine which I think Fiat build themselves. I reckon the guy who kitted the van out bought it for the increased towing capacity. It’s good, shifts along nicely.

Try using Postimage Paul, you don’t need an account or login.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks for the tip on post image. I'll try it when I have something done. Early March I reckon now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE