Working the raw material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Wow, was in a daze then I think I actually sat and looked at those 2 coracle pics for a good 15 mins. :eek:

I love all the latest technology, gadgets and stuff, but that I really, really admire, that is truly awesome, such a simple design, from natural materials, the skill and work involved are waaaay beyond me but to think that 100s if not 1000s of years ago our ancestors would be making things like this from what they had around them, without CAD programs, robots, machinery or any of the other technological advances we rely upon so heavily now, using the only computer the human race has ever really needed and are born with, is mind blowing.

You are sir a MAN amongst men. :notworthy

Si

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
tinder-pouch.jpg

I had a little time yesterday and managed to put together some scraps for a good sized tinder pouch.

That carved bow is absolutely beautiful!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Brilliant Patrick. Really nice work and a thread to inspire.
I had a go in a coracle that a maker let me try out last year. Promised myself I'd make one as it was great fun to paddle, and I hope I eventually go to the lengths you have with the materials.
Cheers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How did I miss these last photos ?

Patrick, that's just brilliant :D Down at the weir at David Livingston's ? HWMBLT watched the bailiff catch an enormous salmon there yesterday; the fellow said it was a hell of a fight it put up.

The good ship lollipop looks really well balanced with a lot of freeboard, do you think she'd take much weight beyond the sailor ? Nets, creels, fish ?

atb,
M

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That Looks lovely Patrick, I cant stop admiring your creations they are truly sublime,
I am dreaming to someday make a nice winter Parka in that style, lets see if it will turn out as well as yours
I can only dream ^^
yours sincerely Ruud

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Hi there people,

just skinned 15 rabbits, some meat in a curry on the stove rest in the freezer. Nom, nom, nom.

I have few questions, my wife is wanting to tan the hides, we still have the heads. She wants to keep the fur on so the questions are as follows:

1 - Best natural way to tan?

2 - Some of the pelts are stained with blood or muck, can we wash with water?

My thoughts on tanning are as follows:

- remove blood and membrane from inside of the hide
- take brain, mash it up and add a little water(& maybe an egg??) to make the paste.
- work the paste into the hide
- then continue to work the hide over knee until dry

Any thoughts from one more experienced would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

cheers
Noel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE