working party in my woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's that time of year again where I'm busy whipping the woods into shape, and this year I've actually been making some progress thanks to a willing helper over the last month or so (paying for some 'toys' by doing my donkey work :D ).

I am going to be having a little working party again, as I have done each year for the past couple. The idea being that some enthusiastic outdoorsy types come out to my woods in Devon and give me a hand making, breaking and burning stuff! Then, since we are already gathered in the woods I think a campfire and social gatehring should be in order :headbang:

The plan thus far...

I've got the weekend of the 12th-13th March booked as the Working Weekend. If anybody is up for coming out to play during the latter part of the week running up to it then hey, why not?!

I plan to have the party part of the working party on the Saturday night. I will try and get some food and drinks in, but if people are happy to contribute to a communal meal then please bring something along (or feed yourself and don't worry about the rest of us :p ). I'll have a couple of big pan, bbqs and other means of cooking on site including a pit oven for those who want to bury something to eat later!

On my list of things that need doing I have:

build shave horses and other green woodworking things (cleaving/shaving breaks)
Gathering and cutting firewood
Coppicing and thinning an overstood willow and ash coppice
Clearing a ride along top boundary to woods.

Obviously I don't expect to get it all done, but the last couple of times I've tried this there have been some fantastically helpful folk come out :grouphug:

Working aside, I hope it will encourage some of my old friends to come out and visit. any excuse for a knees up in the woods!

Oh and of course you are welcome to find some space to camp in the woods. Tents and hammocks are all equally fine, just don't bring stupid inflatable things or trailors full of stuff as it has to be carried 1/2 a mile to the woods!

let me know on here or by pm if you are interested in coming along. The more the merrier! I'll try and get some pictures up of what's going on too at some point this week

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well if you want to come out for two nights then come along and help on friday/monday too :D Always lots to do in the woods!

I've booked the date of the weekend mostly based on my diary but also march is the latest I want to be doing certain things in woodland management really. I've tried doing this at the tail end of the year too but folk complained it was too cold or wet. pansies :rolleyes:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Give me a moment to do some checking Dave, if I can make it I will be all over this like a rash!
Always a great pleasure to visit you in your beautiful woods
Love to C and S !
Chris.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Will be good to see you again Chris, it's always too long between beers my friend!

Stew and Spoony, I know the feeeling guys. Devon is a great place to live and to visit but it is a long way from most places! :rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on what you mean by close by ;) we'll all be parking about 1/2 mile up the road. So close enough to walk happily, but far enough to (hopefully) disuade folk from bringing too much uneccesary junk :lol:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well, you could drive up to the gate and then drive off with somebody else moving the beer down to the woods for you, that would cut the journey down to a few hundred yards! Also I do have wheel barrows ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE