Woolpower smelly quickly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Bought a 200g woolpower t-shirt recently and love how warm it is and love even more the fact that it can be washed at 60 degrees despite being 60% merino.

I adore merino for its climate control magic properties and the fact that it doesn't smell for a relatively long time. I have one merino baselayer that can go days without smelling even if I'm quite active*

However, the woolpower smells after one wearing and definitely needs washing after two low activity days. I'm guessing its due to the poly content but a bit of a shame as I thought it would survive for longer.

Unless as it's my antiperspirant?

Amyone else found this with Woolpower stuff?

*honest. Even SWMBO agrees. :)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
My woolpower stuff lasts well, I have not tried to find out how long it takes to stink but 3 or 4 days of various activity levels and they are fine

Louis

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bought a 200g woolpower t-shirt recently and love how warm it is and love even more the fact that it can be washed at 60 degrees despite being 60% merino.

I adore merino for its climate control magic properties and the fact that it doesn't smell for a relatively long time. I have one merino baselayer that can go days without smelling even if I'm quite active*

However, the woolpower smells after one wearing and definitely needs washing after two low activity days. I'm guessing its due to the poly content but a bit of a shame as I thought it would survive for longer.

Unless as it's my antiperspirant?

Amyone else found this with Woolpower stuff?

*honest. Even SWMBO agrees. :)
The poly content will make is smell quickly I'm afraid, soaking in a strong saline solution before washing will help.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Yep, mine's the same. It doesn't react the same as 100% Merino. I'm not that impressed with my Woolpower top in honesty; mine has a weird cut with a narrow body and really long arms, so it's nowhere near as comforatable as the Devold ones I bought recently (which also stink less). Of course, that could be due to me being a fat-boy :D.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Must be you :p as I wore mine for a fortnight in the cold last year and it never smelt. If I wear a synthetic top for a day it honks so its not that I'm an unsweaty person.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As Imagedude says, diet is a big part of it. But the main thing you need to do is NOT use antiperspirant - it throws everything out of kilter in a natural environment such as merino next to skin. It's quite likely to be the
constituents of the antiperspirant causing the problem as well as the effect it has on your personal environment. I'm often out for days at a time, winter and summer and I only wear wool next to my skin; I don't use
any form of smellies and can't remember the last time my clothing had a honk to it.

When I need to wear a suit or any "normal" clothes for a formal occasion I stink like a skunk after a few hours in the warm; let your skin do what it was designed to do!

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Thanks all. Weird. It can't be diet making the difference unless I'm consciously eating differently on Woolpower days - as I say other base layers I have don't do this. Regarding antiperspirant, I wear it most days so again unless the terry weave inner makes a huge difference reacting with Aluminium Oxide compared to a closer weave merino I can't see how this changes anything?
Surely it's the poly content but strange that others don't find the same.
Oh well, early days, I'll see how it goes after another wash.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks all. Weird. It can't be diet making the difference unless I'm consciously eating differently on Woolpower days - as I say other base layers I have don't do this. Regarding antiperspirant, I wear it most days so again unless the terry weave inner makes a huge difference reacting with Aluminium Oxide compared to a closer weave merino I can't see how this changes anything?
Surely it's the poly content but strange that others don't find the same.
Oh well, early days, I'll see how it goes after another wash.

Structure can play a part in how much it smells. Polyester fibres have a structure that bacteria thrive on seemingly, and a terry type pile will increase the breeding surface area by many times.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've had a 200g top for years, worn for days on end, no problem with smells. Its Great Kit.
Its the only top I'd do that with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE