Wool Blankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
Does anyone know if blankets, with these labels on, are any good? Or know anything else about them?

2013-02-06_20-13-04_892_zps2757aa5e.jpg
[/IMG]

2013-02-06_20-12-09_850_zps2c8ba6d7.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The blankets I shall go to bed under tonight have long since lost there lables but being as they are over 50 years old (from continuous memory and usage) they can't be that bad.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've made stuff in the past with Cotswold Vale blankets and found them to be good quality wool and well woven; The witney one you have is mixed fibres blended with wool - without knowing what other fibres and in what proportion you can only go by whether it feels right in the hand and whether or not you think you'll get on with it...........hope this helps atb mac

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
As above, all wool blankets are good. I have a HBC point blanket for my bed and nothing compares on a cold Canadian winter night.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
Thanks for all the comments guys.
I was a bit dubious about the 'Fibre Blend' with Wool aspect of the Witney. Maybe I won't use it too close to the fire. Or, maybe I should try putting a match to a small corner of it and see what happens?
I've got a few of these. More than I can use. So, if anyone can come up with a reasonable price, they are welcome to one....:naughty:
Duncan

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hmm.... Of course it's impossible to know what the ratio of wool to other fibres is but the wording "fibre blend with wool" suggests to me that wool isn't the major fabric in the mix. In my experience wool blends with, say, 80/20 wool/other fibres perform just like wool but once you get to 50-50 or below it's not so good. But then again the only way to find out is to try it in the field. Also, if it works for you it doesn't matter what it's made of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE