Woodsmoke allergy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
The last 2 times my girlfriend has been out to the woods with me she has had a severe allergic reaction. Her face and neck goes red and swells badly. This is so bad that she has to go to A&E and get steroids for a week. It looks like a chemical burn. We tried to eliminate what may cause it. We thought firstly that it may be the new sleeping bag she was using. It was arctic army surplus. We washed it then she slept in it at home for a week without problem. We went out this weekend and again she had a reaction.

I did a little research and now believe she is allergic to woodsmoke. We saw the out of hours GP and he supported our beliefs. He also asked what wood we were burning. Mainly willow and a little elder. He said elder is pretty noxious to burn.

I consider myself experienced with camp fires but my research really opened my eyes. I learned a huge amount about fire-craft from doing research:

If the camp fire is smoking, it is burning inefficiently. The smoke is poorly burned wood. The smoke has some nasty toxins. They give an excellent table of chemical composition and toxicity here: http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/publications/HC woodsmoke report Mar 31 05(rev).pdf

Recommendations to reduce potential health hazards:

Avoid anything damp or rotten.
They may be easy to collect and looks like a large amount of fuel but you will smoke the camp out doing it. If it is damp you can remove the bark, or place the damp wood near the fire to dry out.
ID the wood you intend to burn. Avoid burning elder. There is probably a list somewhere of what else not to burn which includes Yew and such.
Burn small. Start with the small stuff and work up to maximum wrist size. Small = more heat. Hotter fires = efficient burning. Efficient burning = less smoke. The fire will need more tending to keep adding fuel.

When I am next out I will go with the recommendations above to see how much a reduction in smoke I can achieve. I thought I would share my findings in case they are helpful to others and to prevent anyone else having allergic reactions to woodsmoke. Any additions or corrections appreciated.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hope your girlfriend is Ok
I would bet on her issue was down to elder, there is so much folk law about not burning it for various reasons, normally involving witches, but I guess it all boils down to it being poisonous and it stinks of pee

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hot works better for sure. We burned the brush wood off 25 medium sized trees this week. All completely green but burned with minimal smoke when we had the fire going well. Elder is fairly poor fuel anyway (light weight, not many BTUs calory per unit of volume).

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend - I've heard of asthmatic reactions to woodsmoke but never skin contact reactions.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just one of the reasons I like my wood gasifier; smoke = unburnt fuel and the Tlud stove makes use of it all when used properly. I was always taught the start small and build it hot method of setting fires - lots of flame means efficient burning, then use the glowing coals to cook. I try to burn only Hazel, Ash, Beech and Pinecones, but I live in an area where all that is readily available; I am also very careful to avoid damp fuel of any sort,
quite easy with a little forethought, I keep one of those large plastic storage boxes in the back of the car and have it full of good tinder, kindling and fuel for the gasifier, collected when conditions are optimal and died completely before it goes in there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear about the problems your girlfriend is having with smoke; allergies are a misery :sigh:

Not surprised to hear that it's elder that might be the cause. I often use it as a hearth board (simply because it not only works well, but it splits easily for pre-historic demos) but admit that once I've got the coal burning, I don't like to use the wood on the fire. Like Yew, it's useful but it comes with 'be careful' issues.

Excellent link :) thank you.
One to add to the Useful Links list I think.

I hope your girlfriend isn't discouraged, and that there are no further problems for her.

atb,
M

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I try to burn only Hazel, Ash, Beech and Pinecones, but I live in an area where all that is readily available.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we lived backing onto a Scots Pine forest, my dad was too tight to buy charcoal for the BBQ so my sister and I were sent out to collect pine cones for the BBQ. They work very well and none of us suffered any problems as far as I know....but in resent years I have read somewhere and in several places that pine cones are very bad in terms of toxicity and other nasties in their smoke. Be interested to hear others thoughts on this :)

Also....I have read many conflicting thoughts about Yew. From it being so poisonous that you shouldn't touch it, to it makes great spoons and cooking utensils, from never ever burn it to only in a wood stove and not on an open fire.
can anybody give me a little clarity on Yew as I have a whole heap split and ready for the home wood burner this winter.

Thanks,

Bam. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Wood smoke is a problem for me with my COPD but I refuse to let it limit me as the time spent around the campfire with my friends is a precious thing :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Sorry to hear about your girlfriend - I've heard of asthmatic reactions to woodsmoke but never skin contact reactions.

Plus 1. The only exception I've ever seen (or even heard of) was if the fire also had bits of Poison Oak or Poison Ivy in it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's bad crack mate. Hope she finds a way round it and still manages to come out with you. Prove burnt yew a bit and it was good, but elder is bad- as you said. Sounds really nasty so I hope all is ok now :).

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That is quite severe ,I have noticed that over the last couple of years I always have a really bad sore throat after being out and find it hard to swallow in the mornings ,def a reaction to the smoke as well .Not sure how to get round it apart from not being at the fire ,which I hate the idea of .

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
Yes she is recovering well thank you for your concern. She woke up about 1.30am at camp with a red face and neck that was really swollen and I knew she was in trouble so we came straight home. Left everything at camp. It was a private area so chances are it would be alright and couldn't risk no treatment in case breathing difficulties occurred.

I really hope it doesn't put her off. I will be investing in gas cooker and probably gas heater with monoxide alarm so she can still get out. Then hopefully further down the road have a small fire.

xylaria

The one the and only time I have tried a elder whistle it made my lips itchy. When I had a pine splinter in bedded in my hand for 10 months I couldnt work pine without getting hives. The only serious reaction I have had has been rodent dander. A useful allergy when in a takeaway.

Woodfires are never compulsory when out. However they are dam nice. Bringing dry seasoned wood is good for one or two nights. Bushcraft doesnt have rules do whats comfy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the important thing here is not to make assumptions. Talk to your GP and arrange for proper professional allergy tests to be done. Its free and very useful.

xylaria

I think the important thing here is not to make assumptions. Talk to your GP and arrange for proper professional allergy tests to be done. Its free and very useful.

GOOD POINT

Serious allergic reactions need to be properly diagnosed. Anyone can be allergic to anything, from spores to pollen to leaf mold. You ruled out tje sleeping bag but there is whole world out there of stuff ready to get you (well almost). Things I have reacted to before working out it was rodents :hedge clippings, an archeology sample, a sheep at petting zoo, a degu in pet shop, a clean pet rat, a pet mouse. It wasnt until the mouse I worked out what it was.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Your right. Hopefully she can get allergy tested to pinpoint exactly. If it is just elder, then we are back on with the fires albeit more carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE