Woodpigeons alarmcall.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I do live in a town but next to my house is a small group of treees that are host to some woodpigeons.They are regularly disturbed by me or by dogs and their owners. Having heard the alarm calls of blackbirds, thrushes and robins etc. I found it odd that there appears to be no alarm call from Woodpigeons when disturbed. However when they fly off is seems like an explosion and there is always the clatter of wings on wings or wings on tree branches. Is this sound deliberatly used by the pigeons instead of an alarm call or is it just the result of an extremely urgent take off?. I assume that they normaly sit tight until the very last moment or until the threat is over.
Having flown off they only go away a few tens of yards before resuming a perch on another tree or returning to the same tree after a circling flight.

I now think that in asking the question I have answered the question ... the urgent launching into flight creates the noise whether deliberate or not and acts as a signal to other birds and animals and is therefore the equivalent of an alarm call.

Any comments?

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
i've always assumed that the wing clapping is deliberate, as it certainly alerts any other woodies close by.

i have also seen them do it during normal flight, but I think that is part of their foreplay !

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I cannot recall ever hearing an alarm call from woodies, and that's even when shooting at/amongst them. Collared doves do make an urgent sort of cooing, but not the woodie that I'm aware of.

Dave

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
Along with the clapping of wings, they make a kind of whistling noise when they take off. At least the ones round here do :?:

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
The alarm call of wood pigeons; the clapping of the wings is caused by the wings when they meet together on the underside of the bird if that helps, and the whistling sound is the sound of the air being forced through the feathers on take off. All pigeons are known to be extremely powerful in flight. They use the power to gain height faster when being pursued by their predators and out maneuvering them. I can't ever recall hearing a specific call of alarm. Hope this answers the question, or raises another?

Neil.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Usually the you hear the flapping then see the bird, usually just out of range!
As for speed of flight, sometimes they seem turn turn and fly around the shot pattern - at least, thats my excuse! :wink:

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
KIMBOKO said:
I havn't noticed but do Woodpigeons also take flight without making a noise?.

They don't fly silently like an owl but they do take off and fly much more quietly at times. If they're not fleeing and just moving from tree to tree or to the ground they sort of drop off the branch and glide with the odd flap of the wings. Much more energy efficient.

sometimes they seem turn turn and fly around the shot pattern - at least, thats my excuse!
I have that problem as well!!!

Cheers

Mark

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I posted this yesterday but for some reason it didn't get through.

I'd imagine it must be some form of alarm call, as evolution would surely have rules out a bird that always made such a fearful noise when it moved?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i think all animals will be attuned to the noises each other makes

a curlew will point out a danger (more often than not a fox or a hidden walker)

an oystercatcher among other birds will be quite vigorous in defending its nest site with dive bombings and peeping

and yes the clatter of woodpigeons is another of those sounds that makes my ears ***** up and say "something going on over there, even if i can't see it"

its all about being able to read the signs i guess

Tant

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
To me it seems like a lot of effort goes into flying off, when other birds might only give an alarm call and not fly off. I assume its because they are large ground feeders and a bit slow in take off that they take flight first. If they were to look at what caused an alarm then a predator may already have them.
Rather than having two reactions to an alarm one whilst on the ground and one whilst in trees, it is better to take flight in any situation.
I don't know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE