Woodlore Sleeping Bag - Osprey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

how do you rate this sleeping bag

• Total voters

grimstead

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2008
wolverhampton
hello all

as anyone got this sleeping bag and how small dose it go in the stuff bag when compressed and if you got any pic of it in its stuff sack

thanks

mark

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I no longer have the stuff sack sorry, I usually pack it into a rubble bag at the bottom my pack.

From memory it doesn't pack down as much as the Nanok -10 which according their site compresses to 18x18x53. However according to the woodlore site the Osprey compresses to 18x18x40cm (equivalent to 10.4 litres).

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just got mine, no chance to test yet. I think I may have spent some time in a exhaust filled truck (stank of petrol fumes). I was also a bit concerned that there was no markings anywhere of model, and the loft felt a bit small for a serious 3-season bag. Anyone with one who can measure theirs and compare?

The design appears to be ok, I like centre zip (I have a Carinthia Survival One for true winter use), the draft collar appears to perhaps be a bit too low down for me, time will tell. It is not a large bag, so I suspect that large size people might not fit well in it.

I'll try to get a chance to try it out this weekend, temps should be around 0C, perhaps a bit less at night.

grimstead

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2008
wolverhampton
I just got mine, no chance to test yet. I think I may have spent some time in a exhaust filled truck (stank of petrol fumes). I was also a bit concerned that there was no markings anywhere of model, and the loft felt a bit small for a serious 3-season bag. Anyone with one who can measure theirs and compare?

The design appears to be ok, I like centre zip (I have a Carinthia Survival One for true winter use), the draft collar appears to perhaps be a bit too low down for me, time will tell. It is not a large bag, so I suspect that large size people might not fit well in it.

I'll try to get a chance to try it out this weekend, temps should be around 0C, perhaps a bit less at night.

cheers m8 would be good to no what you think of it

mark

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Not convinced by the materials used. They 'micro-snag' all the rough bits on my hands and feet and catch an pull (pucker) the little strands from the material. I used to have an ME bag like that a few years back and over the course of the year it seriously degraded the fabric at the foot of the bag to the point of nearly putting holes in the fabric. As soon as I saw the same snagging on the bag with the Golden Eagle I sent it back. I have not problem with the silken lining of TNF bags or the Alpkit bags tho'

forestwalker

Not convinced by the materials used. They 'micro-snag' all the rough bits on my hands and feet and catch an pull (pucker) the little strands from the material. I used to have an ME bag like that a few years back and over the course of the year it seriously degraded the fabric at the foot of the bag to the point of nearly putting holes in the fabric. As soon as I saw the same snagging on the bag with the Golden Eagle I sent it back. I have not problem with the silken lining of TNF bags or the Alpkit bags tho'

I haven't noticed that with mine, but then my hands are ok right now. Postage will be somewhat annoying if I return it. But I was suspicious regarding the loft, it just felt too slim for a 3 season bag. I'll give it a shot though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
....They 'micro-snag' all the rough bits on my hands and feet and catch an pull (pucker)...

My feet are quite rough and I've also noticed this on both the 'Osprey' and 'Golden Eagle' however it isn't so bad to make me think that holes will start appearing. Both bags have had a fair bit of use, about five or six months non stop each year since 2004 and they are both still going strong.

The main issue I have with them is bulk, I put up with it because I do find them to be very comfy.

...it just felt too slim for a 3 season bag...

The loft seems more of an issue though, my 'Osprey' seems well stuffed, hopefully they haven't changed the design, maybe if forestwalker weighs his I can compare his weight with mine to see if he's been shortchanged :)

forestwalker

The loft seems more of an issue though, my 'Osprey' seems well stuffed, hopefully they haven't changed the design, maybe if forestwalker weighs his I can compare his weight with mine to see if he's been shortchanged :)

It weights 2077 g including the stuff sack, which matches the weight listed on the RM site (2014 g).

Maybe I've spent too much time with winter bags this season; it surpassed the loft on my old Ajugilak Compact (did me good in -10 when new) when I compared them. The Carinthia Survival One must have given me strange expectations, but then that is a bag that has allowed me to sleep in comfort in -45 C.

Now, if only people could make stuff sacks properly oversized rather than "just big enough".

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It weights 2077 g including the stuff sack, which matches the weight listed on the RM site (2014 g)......Now, if only people could make stuff sacks properly oversized rather than "just big enough".
I no longer have the stuff sack it came with, however my Osprey alone weighs 1847 g, it has been hanging in the store since October so any extra weight isn't due to damp etc.

...but then that is a bag that has allowed me to sleep in comfort in -45 C...
I've used the Golden Eagle at - 40 and it was 'just' comfy enough.

Now, if only people could make stuff sacks properly oversized rather than "just big enough".
I no longer use stuff sacks with any of my sleeping bags but rather wrap them in a rubble bag which I squeeze down into the bottom of my pack, I find this uses the available space in the rucksack more efficiently and shaves off a few grams. :D

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Great sleeping bag has what I want a central zip. Smallest I can get it in the original stuff sack is about 27cm and like the others have do I use a different sfuff sack. I use a Softie 3 Merlin for the summer though.

IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg

Other picture's
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=434717&postcount=19

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've got the golden eagle for winter use with all the 'ads' on.

was going to get an osprey until i found that Snugpak do a 'special forces 2' with central zip,comfort -7, low -12,weight just under 1800g.

Think it's the same as a softie 10.

It just arrived today but is certainly at least half the size of the Golden Eagle before compression.

Cheaper than the Osprey too.

I like central zips which is why i chose the above.

I believe it's better to be too warm and open up for comfort than to be cold and not sleep fitfully.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can't vote, never used one. A poll on kit that only a few use is not a true reflection of the item I would have thought?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I liked the central zip and the little mesh pockets for drying/warming small items but, apart from that, it was too heavy and way too bulky. I now live happily in one of the Kifaru sleeping bags.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have used a fair few sleeping bags over the years, but never one of these. But i am intrigued by these bags. How do they compare with the newer mod winter bags, which seem very similar in design, center zip, internal pockets etc. The Mod ones seem to be very warm, but are huge when packed.
cheers
baggins

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Worr!

Never heard of anyone having or using one of those. Tell us a bit about it would you Tiley :)

I'm assuming you mean the Kifaru thing.

I'm not sure that they are still making them (I got mine about a year ago, I suppose). They were designed for 'living in' and were a little more generously sized than your average bag made for a racing snake. The fill is synthetic and came in three temperature ratings and two sizes but the best bit about it was that there were no stitched-through compartments so no cold spots and a significant weight saving due to the lack of baffles. The hood is great and there is also a really useful and effective should baffle. I also bought one of their compression sacks which squashes the bag to create a long sausage-shaped thing rather than the usual awkward-to-pack round effort. I have used it in all seasons but winter and I am absolutely delighted with it :D : it's light, compact, well-made, warm and comfortable.

If I can master the technology, I'll try and stick some photos of it on the post, if you'd like.

As ever, I have absolutely no association with Kifaru - I'm just one happy customer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE