Woodlore Blues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
While assembling my fixed blades to photograph for manganr's fixed blade thread yesterday morning, I realised that my mate has had my WS woody for at least a couple of months since I let him use it while we were camping. I always used my woody, but had just finished making my own scandi and wanted to use that, so lent him the woodlore cos he really likes it, but only has a mora of his own. Although he isnt a knife fiend like we are here, he likes knives and knows how to use one properly, so I was quite happy for him to have it................ I just didnt expect him to try to sharpen it! :yikes: The bevel on one side is pretty much destroyed, and I reckon it will need professionally reground. It is certainly beyond what I can fix with waterstones!

185018.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Well, it is certainly not a showpiece, but I do not see why you couldn't fix that bevel with waterstones. But making a good judgement from one picture alone is difficult.

-Emile

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Oh dear,
oh dear oh dear :(

Did he think he was doing you a favour or what?
You're going to loose a lot of meat off that blade one way or the otherif you fix it...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If you get a nice coarse waterstone from Axminster you'll be surprised how quickly you can put that right. I've just got rid of similar damage on a K-Bar USMC bowie that I've had around for years that had really bad secondary bevels.
The hard part is keeping both sides even.

Maybe someone on BB could regrind it for you? There are some very tallented chaps over there.

Dave

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I wonder could you use a "Lansky" type system to get the bevels even again ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Maybe give up on the idea of keeping the bevels and adopt a scandi grind, looks like your 'mate' has taken you half way there... :(

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Just another response looking at that picture a 2nd time after thinking about it.

As earlier said, I think that a cold regrind by a professional (one of the BB members) would be a more sensible thing to do that trying to fix it yourself. Yes, you would lose some steel, but there is a lot of it available to start with. The blade would be a bit less in height, but that is certainly not a bad thing for a bushcraft/woodcarving blade. I actually would prefer it that way.

Another option would be to contact WS and ask them for advice. They might want to do the regrind themselves.

Good luck!
-Emile

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
cough ,egay ,cough ,cough :eek:

Seriously ,best thing is to ask on BB for some advice.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Best bet is to get WS to regrind it, grinding hardern steel is a tricky business, its all too easy to get it too hot and draw the temper from it and ruin it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Alternatively you could do nothing? What does the other side look like? I know that its ugly as it is, but I don't know how much better it would look if you had it reground to the original angle. I would think that would take a lot of metal off and make it look quite odd.

It might be better to increase the edge angle all the way along to the new hight, that would maintain the overall profile of the blade.

If the edge still cuts and is sharpenable, is it necessary to do anything? Its a tough call, personally i would want to make my erstwhile friend buy the knife! I would be very angry, and would naturally want to have it back like new. Trying to return it to new looks though has some risks, not to mention being a big hassle. I wouldn't say that working to put it back is the only option for a using knife.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm having a real hard time judging the extent of the damage based on the photo. But if it was screwed up by sharpening on a stone, then I would guess that with a little elbow grease, you could smooth those bevels flat again. If it thins out the blade a bit, I wouldn't worry about it. Might even be an improvement. :)

F

fastbreak

mojofilter said:
While assembling my fixed blades to photograph for manganr's fixed blade thread yesterday morning, I realised that my mate has had my WS woody for at least a couple of months since I let him use it while we were camping. I always used my woody, but had just finished making my own scandi and wanted to use that, so lent him the woodlore cos he really likes it, but only has a mora of his own. Although he isnt a knife fiend like we are here, he likes knives and knows how to use one properly, so I was quite happy for him to have it................ I just didnt expect him to try to sharpen it! :yikes: The bevel on one side is pretty much destroyed, and I reckon it will need professionally reground. It is certainly beyond what I can fix with waterstones!

It looks like a couple of hours patient work with a course diamond stone would sort that out.

Have fun

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE