Woodlore Australian hootchie- question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all, just got back from an overnighter in the hammock with the auscam hootchie I bought from Woodlore some time ago. I rarely use it and opt for my much lighter cheap tarp I've had for years and use everywhere. But I decided to take the 'good' one as I expected a storm...

The storm came and I was happily hanging under my trustworthy hootchie, and then it started to leak from the ridgeline loops in the centre... :/ it wasn't gushing in, but whenever the rain whipped the tarp I felt several cold spots form in synch beneath each ridgeline loop..

Has anybody else had this problem with the Australian hootchie before?
Cheers, Lewis

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Wherever there is stiching on a tarp e.g. loops or seams, there will be needle holes which need to be sealed. Use any silicone sealer (caulking) thinned with a solvent and painted onto the pinholes - both sides.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...But I decided to take the 'good' one as I expected a storm... "

Mine is seldom used these days too. What everyone else has said, I used silicon sealant. :)

Edited to add:

If anyone is ever looking for a lightweight tarp that is also robust, I'd recommend the Hilleberg UL10, lighter and (in my experience) tougher than the Woodlore hootchie. :)

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
mixed two spoons of waterproof silicone with 4 spoons of white spirits until the liquid is runny and clear the go all over all your stitching on both sides. for now in winter. in the summer on a very hot day. you can go over the whole tarp on both sides which will last you a few good years. then just keep topping the stiching now and then. just make sure you buy Waterproof silicone Sealant.
cheers the interceptor boy.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I'm not entirely sure but I'm about 99.9% sure that anything with silicone in it will be waterproof, don't they use silicone BECAUSE it's so hydrophobic ?

If you're not sure just buy bathroom sealant.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Yes, most readily available compounds of Silicon are waterproof because it's so hydrophobic, but I don't know if this stuff needs to be mixed with a solvent first or used neat.. I don't want to end up with a sticky mess all over my expensive (far too expensive IMHO) but beloved hootchie :p it says that it's clear in the description so I take it that it should be fine to use from the tub.. ATB

Edit: is the role of the solvent to simply thin the mixture enough to be painted on to the tarp? In which case I may as well buy it and see when it gets here.. I'll stop being a tight git now and just get it..

Last edited:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
yep that will do. I only use waterproof silicone these days . non waterproof silicone is hydrophobic but tend to peel off than waterproof silicone. something happens when it is mixed with white spirits or turpentine. or buy a tube of tarp sealant abd go all over your stitching on your Aus Hoot.
cheers the interceptor boys.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
yep that will do. I only use waterproof silicone these days . non waterproof silicone is hydrophobic but tend to peel off than waterproof silicone. something happens when it is mixed with white spirits or turpentine. or buy a tube of tarp sealant abd go all over your stitching on your Aus Hoot.
cheers the interceptor boys.

Thanks interceptor!
ATB

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all, I know it's an old thread but I've finally got round to doing it this weekend, how much solvent should I use, I.e. How runny do I want the mixture to be? Also how much do I need to paint onto the leaky stitching? Several coats or one generous layer??

ATB, Lewis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE