woodlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think too many people forget that this is what it's all about, they get bogged down by desperate desires to stir trouble and pick holes in plans to make dreams a reality. This isn't about websites or articles or special forums it's about persistantly ensuring the survival of Bushcraft. This is what they are doing and I wish them the very best of luck in the future. Regarding courses, looks to me as if they have just a brief overview of what they may be offering in the future no details, dates, prices etc. so let's not jump the gun here it doesn't look like they will be offering courses in the near future. As it is at the moment, it's not a commerical venture. Yes it has some articles up there. So what? We should penalise them because they aren't placing them all here? I think not. Let's try and remember the reason behind this site, to promote and practice the skills of Bushcraft.

Reactions: spoony

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ScottC said:
I think too many people forget that this is what it's all about, they get bogged down by desperate desires to stir trouble....

That's a bit of a naive assessment of the comments here Scott.

Clearly, there are number of people with concerns. Addressing them in an mature and intelligent way is something that we should all do. Equally, responding to them in a mature and intelligent way is something we should all do.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Leon-1 your statement earlier in the thread has got me quite confused.

It is about advertising commercial sites, I get the impression that advertising commercial sites on the forum is not allowed yet yesterday at 13:18 hours you posted the following which strikes me as blatant advertising
leon-1 said:
Adi, have a look at this course as well, it may cost a little more, but it will give a little more dirt time and continuity.
. It has become obvious many of the Mods are actively promoting Bushcraft Expeditions which is a double standard according to the rules you have quoted, or have I missed something.

In my humble opinion I think that some people on here are taking BES as a major threat and that is what it will be if you don’t calm down and get on together, if you don’t people will start voting with there feet and start logging off BCUK for good.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi Fiddler said:
In my humble opinion I think that some people on here are taking BES as a major threat and that is what it will be if you don’t calm down and get on together, if you don’t people will start voting with there feet and start logging off BCUK for good.

No, it's about making a judgement. Tony and the rest of us will do what we feel is right and people can vote with their feet or not, as they see fit. There is no harm in raising important issues and discussing them in a mature and responsible way. Quite the contrary. There are concerns here, which are clear and they need to be discussed. If talking about this is upsetting to you, then dont read it. Alternatively, the log out button is in the top right hand corner.

I apologise if that seems overly curt, but we wont shy away from discussing important issues, over threats of people leaving.

The issues will be discussed, we will do what we believe is the right thing and people will leave or stay as they see fit.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Adi Fiddler said:

It is about advertising commercial sites, I get the impression that advertising commercial sites on the forum is not allowed yet yesterday at 13:18 hours you posted the following which strikes me as blatant advertising . It has become obvious many of the Mods are actively promoting Bushcraft Expeditions which is a double standard according to the rules you have quoted, or have I missed something.

Calm down dear, its only a commercial................

Sorry, couldn't resist it...........Jon

leon-1

Adi Fiddler said:

It is about advertising commercial sites, I get the impression that advertising commercial sites on the forum is not allowed yet yesterday at 13:18 hours you posted the following which strikes me as blatant advertising . It has become obvious many of the Mods are actively promoting Bushcraft Expeditions which is a double standard according to the rules you have quoted, or have I missed something.

Adi, I mentioned that course because I have tracked with Woody, earlier I also mentioned that I would also recommend courses with shadowhawk, the reason being I have done courses with Max and the Shadowhawk crew as well.

I have also done basic tracking in the military, but they are not courses that would be accesible to most on here, I cannot recommend them because you cannot do them, but they do give me something to make a measure against.

leon-1 said:
I can and will recommend either of these 2 as schools because I have seen the product and know what you will get for your investment.

This is not favouritism, it is me saying that both of these schools run good courses on the strength that I have done courses with them, that I have paid for as anyone else on the forum would of paid.

I also believe that a longer course will give more ground time and continuity to anyone learning tracking, so me saying "Have a look at this for these reasons" is once again my opinion and me trying to be helpfull.

Remember I am a member on here just like anyone else and if I can help in anyway possible even with a suggestion then I will.

Since someone else has mentioned that there was an e-mail circulated about Bushcraft expeditions, you may well of noticed that at least 2 of the members of the forum actually got something out of it. It was an offer proposed to BCUK members by Bushcraft Expeditions as a competition

As far as pushing Bushcraft Expeditions is concerned I believe that to be a totally unfair statement, if that was the case I or any other mod would of been booted by Tony as we have more rules to apply to ourselves than any other members on here and to be honest I am quite offended by the insinuation.

I would of posted this earlier (1938hrs), but my adsl link went down as I was typing so I couldn't, but this thread has left me wondering why I bother.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Martyn said:
No, it's about making a judgement. Tony and the rest of us will do what we feel is right and people can vote with their feet or not, as they see fit. There is no harm in raising important issues and discussing them in a mature and responsible way. Quite the contrary. There are concerns here, which are clear and they need to be discussed. If talking about this is upsetting to you, then dont read it. Alternatively, the log out button is in the top right hand corner.

I apologise if that seems overly curt, but we wont shy away from discussing important issues, over threats of people leaving.

The issues will be discussed, we will do what we believe is the right thing and people will leave or stay as they see fit.

Martyn I am sorry I have mislead you, I have not said there is a problem with discussing important issues nor have I threatened to leave. What I have said is there is no need for people to get testy over the discussion and I have highlighted that if the team behind BCUK does not lighten up people WILL get fed up and WILL leave.

As for Judgement and doing the right thing why be threatened by BES, is it a treat to you NO it’s not unless you treat as one then it will become one.

You do not have a monopoly on Bushcraft forums and you can never stop people talking about other sites on your site because if they don’t do it in public they will do it behind your backs.

By the way I am upset by the contradictions and hypocrisy. I am not a member of BES nor have I ever been to there site

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
HOWEVER, i was a little shocked to see that once the forum was created, thesub-forums weren't just to discuss the purchase of woodland any more, and like Martyn has said have replicated some of the forums here.

Then came the skills and craft pages, again all information that IMHO would be much better centralised in a common location.....Here on BCUK, which already has an indepth resource. Why replicate, or decentralise that. You said that it was in case people came to the site looking for other information. In that case why not just have a forum that just links to here. just like the forum here that opens british blades. Not a site that I frequent, but I know that if i want that information, I go there for it.

Just my two penth worth.[/QUOTE]

so............. are you saying that bcuk should have the monopoly on all information bushcrafty or would you all prefer other sites to change the names of there forums to sharp & pointy metal things instead of edged blades, or playing in the green and brown stuff instead of bushcraft skills?????? just because titles replicate? an axe is an axe. bushcraft is bushcraft a quote is a quote or does that infringe on the grounds of replicating someone elses words.......how can one make a balanced judgement on anything from a single source??in the real world people have and make choices they go to asda for clothes, m & s for knickers. tesco for booze but they all sell the same things ( replicating ) or just freedom of choice in a semi democratic country..

tom

ps feel free to ban me or edit this if you feel you must :D

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
Martyn said:
Personal recommendation (is allowed) and self promotion (is not allowed), they are two different things.

Seems clear to me.

is british blades a personal recomendation or self promotion as , are you not involved with them???????????

just out of curiousity to clarify so to speak or am i mistaking you for someone else?

tom :D

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I am delighted that we are airing views on commercial issues. No harm discussing them. I note that inability to have issues that involve raising money on this forum was one of the reasons that the new site has been set up.

I have to say that at times I personally think BCUK goes far too far regarding this. Moderators here may recall they lifted my thread about whether being able to buy materials ideal for hand drilling would actually promote more people being interested and able to hand drill.

A parallel comes to mind re the international olympics. In the old days only amateur sports and amateur sports persons could compete. Anyone with a professional background in sport was rejected. Times have moved on and now professional sport is very much in the fold - apparently to the advantage of sport.

So, commercial and professional bushcraft - is it time to make an entry to BCUK?
Having said all that I think this a great site. Something of a lifeline to a woodsman at heart, stuck in city life.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
running bare said:
is british blades a personal recomendation or self promotion as , are you not involved with them???????????

just out of curiousity to clarify so to speak or am i mistaking you for someone else?

Tom,

Is British Blades a commercial venture?!?!

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks Neil-1 for your reply, I appreciated you recommendation when you posted it up but then you contradicted yourself in the other post which made me think so I had a look around and noticed that Bushcraft Expeditions was mentioned a lot and that makes me think that they are being actively promoted.

But my next point was going to be British blades but someone has beaten me to it.

I think Tony needs to sit down and clarify the rules in his own mind and then publish them in such a way that there can be no ambiguity. At the moment it feels like Bushcrafting on George Orwells Animal Farm.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
JoshG said:
I could swing both ways on this one, but I feel that everyone is taking this a bit too far... all the members of BES are BushcraftUK loyal users and so they will stay that way, and Eric has done alot for the people here... so if you think he's being disrespectful, then I think you are too.

Maybe Eric could remove a few forum categories to settle this silliness.

or bcuk could as eric has stated it was written before bcuk was thought of!! so seniority rules :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
only joking but i personnally think this should all be brushed under the carpet and everyone get back to the reason for this site.. Hell its nearly xmas...HO HO HO :beerchug:

watch out for the white stuff tomorrow and remember never eat yellow snow :lmao:

leon-1

running bare said:

British Blades is a forum as is BCUK, Martyn does not make money out of it.

There is a link here which Tony has agreed on, there is a reciprocal link on BB, neither are businesses supporting employees (in fact neither are businesses) or offering services for cash that either Tony or Martyn benefit from.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
leon-1 said:
British Blades is a forum as is BCUK, Martyn does not make money out of it.

There is a link here which Tony has agreed on, there is a reciprocal link on BB, neither are businesses supporting employees (in fact neither are businesses) or offering services for cash that either Tony or Martyn benefit from.

so back to question was it personnal recomend or self promo??????? thats all im asking. or is it not as clear as they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE