woodland to practice bushcraft in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi there,

I live in Warwickshire (Leamington Spa) and I'm finding it really hard to locate woodland that I can practice bushcraft skills in. I have contacted Woodland Trust and Forestry Commission, but neither seem able to help me.

I would like to contact any privately owned woodland to adk permission/pay to use their woodland,but don't know which woodlands are privately owned or how to locate names etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I would suggest putting an advert in your local Friday-Ad under the farming section.

When we have been looking for woodland to use it has always had at least a few good responses.

The trouble will start when you mention fire. I suggest that you rehearse your script before you start talking to people - and dont mention it specifically in the advert.

Failing that, try and chat up some of the local farmers. They may know someone who has a bit that they wouldn't mind a few quid for renting.

Good luck :)

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Maybe don't menton fire at all until you have used the site a few times. Then the owner will be able to see how responsible you are and may be more inclined to consider allowing a fire.

It would be a shame to not have use of a beautiful spot just because you can't light a fire, and at least you'd be practising the other skills while you looked for somewhere that would allow it :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gents,
This is the time of year when farmers are maxed out, sheep shearing, cutting hay and silage etc etc. If you can afford to prepay a bit of time to help them out while they are busy, then I'm sure some of them would let you practice your bushcraft when it is not so busy. A bit of gate and fence repair, a helping hand when they're moving flocks to and from shearing, heck even some cool drinks for them stuck inside a hot tractor cab would go a long way to pre-empting a favour.

ATB

Ogri the trog

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Yes that sounds like a good idea. But how do you know which farmers to offer help too. Knowing my luck I would spend ages helping someone out only to find out they dont have any woodland.
Ian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE