Wooden spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
In the middle of making spoons, one from beach and he other from pine. just wondering what type of oil would be best to seal it? bearing in mind i'd liek to use it once in a while

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A few people suggested to me to use food grade linseed oil (flax oil) - I don't know if it is true, but I think someone suggested that it may polymerise just under the surface of the wood as it dries out. I just got a bottle from Tesco. If you are going to be using the spoon for eating /cooking, then it may not be worth oiling, but I like to oil mine because they look nicer that way.

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i thought if you didn't oil it, that the spoon would absorb the "food" and therefore turn rancid???

Whats up with rancid?:bluThinki

No ignore that:D

I used walnut oil on all my "food use" stuff for ages then went to decent quality olive oil.
I often don't bother now unless I'm doing spoons for sale or display as the oil washes out anyway and needs re-doing.

the walnut oil has a much nicer smell than olive mind you.;)

Best wishes
R.B.
(steve)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Some people oil em, some dont, its one of those debates that could go on forever really. I oil mine and use Flax seed oil, its does help seal em and can bring out the grain a treat, if your using beech it might help to bring out the grain more as beech is a slow growing tree and its grain is little or hardly any at all. Its up to you really at the end of the day.
Good luck with em and dont forget to post some pics for everyone to see.

Simon.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"i thought if you didnt oil it, that the spoon would absorb the "food" and therefore turn rancid???"

In theory yes, in practice no. I think the spoon is too small and thin and has too much air circulation round it therefore dries too quickly for it to go rancid. I have known bowls go rancid. I do treat my spoons with cold pressed linseed/flax oil, partly because it seals them and partly because it makes them look nice..they would work fine without though.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
well thanks guys, al i need now is some sand paper. I think i will oil mine after all. I'll be soaking it in will olive oil. Will post pics soon after the finishing touches

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
most woods seem to have natural antibacterial qualities, researchers don't understand why but bacteria don't breed even in old boards covered in knife cuts...unlike old plastic boards. This is often quoted but if you want to see the original research I have a copy on my website here http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/catframe.htm under "using woodware"

Hooray for wood the more we use it the more our woods will be managed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE