Wooden mallets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Made myself a couple of wooden mallets using Elm for the heads and Ash for the handles.
Just need to tidy the handles up a bit.
The Elm tree was cut down yesterday and I made them within an hour of it's demise, the wood was fairly dry as the trees had had Dutch elm, the Ash was seasoned for five months.
Going to use one of them when I'm using a froe, the other will be a spare.
Nice quick and easy project, thanks for looking.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Tutorial a, could do that for you Red, gonna have to find some wood, only have access to Ash so that will have to do, think you know that Elm is a very good wood for mallets, on these two I just made the council tree surgeons were removing Two Elm opposite my front door, I asked for some to make a couple of mallets and they cut two pieces that were a great shape, I debarked them did a bit of draw knife work then drilled the hole with a hand auger, then chamfered both ends to stop the wood splitting when in use, handle is easy, I just used what I had lying around, they are secured with a wooden oak wedge and glue.
Tutorial will come later I hope.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice useful tool that Hugo. Can't see from the pic, but does the hole for the handle go right through the head, or is it stopped an inch or so in.
Atb
Colin.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hi Colin mate, it goes right through, I used a mallet to make sure the handle was a tight fit then fitted a wedge in it, I was going to drill 3/4 and fit a blind wedge but changed my mind, as the handle is seasoned and the Elm wood head is still a bit green the head should shrink tightly over the handle, well that's what I am hoping.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Very nice work.

I've a bit of a collection of one piece mallets which was the first piece of green woodwork I learned to do. They are incredibly strong and the head will never loosen!

GJ6ev31l.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE