wooden fork on the go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
A bit of a two-part question really.

If i use some twigs to cook with next time i'm out i could leave my metal KFS at home. I'm thinking of a twig split in two with something wedged inbetween the two halves to act as a fork & some long straight sticks to act as skewers to roast stuff over the fire which i can eat with my fingers. I've already sussed out that it is not a good idea to use yew & i've found some advice to remove the bark as it harbours bacteria & other nasties. Are there any other do's and don't that people would share? Any hot tips? ('Scuse the pun)

Also, if i leave the tinfoil at home, are there any really good things to use to wrap food in so that it can cook over embers? Dock leaves? Comfrey leaves? Anything to avoid?

Any advice would be welcome.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Both Dock leaces and Comfrey are food safe, comfrey is edible, dont know about the Dock leaves though.

The fork could be made by splitting the small peice of wood at the end, soaking it for a while and then slowly drying it in its new shape over a fire? Just guessing, I will give it a try soon to see the outcome.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Thanks for the replies.

Rats tail plantain is ok with Richard Mabey (Food for Free) - there's a lot in my garden lawn! - and the stalk could be used to tie the leaf around the food. Also, there is a lot of wild garlic around where i live & i reckon the leaves would be perfect to parcel up stuff to cook. I don't mind a bit of chargrilled veg. :) For the eating utensils, pretty much any wood apart from yew is ok it would seem, but i'm going to restrict myself to the obvious ones like beech, birch, oak, apple or hawthorn until i know what i'm talking about. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE