Wooden camping box.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
Since becoming a member of this forum my interest in woodwork has been renewed. I have made quite a few bits which I meant to show as they were completed but never got round to it. It is great to see people making their own gear.... so Thankyou :)

Saw Uncle Ray using a wooden dovetailed box whilst cooking Bannock....anyway, that was around 8 years ago but it stuck in the brain cell I save for special stuff...so finally got around to making one this summer.

woodenbox1.jpg

It has a lid to keep the critters out! When opened this acts as a low table or tray.

chest2.jpg

Also needed a home for my bushy tools and a few Japanese tools.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Lastly, this one is 20 years old. It is a good way to store water stones and easy to make. I usually drop it in the vice or workmate to use.

IMG_2378.jpg

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Really nice work there. Love the joins on the bushy tools box. Wish I could work with wood like that!
Snozz

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I must say, I do like a good dovetail joint.

Nice, simple, clean lines. Makes me want to make one for myself.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That looks great, I made a plywood one for camping after seeing Waylands, but that is quite something..

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
Last one whilst I'm in the zone. My first Kuksa and spoons. First spoon on the left is my EDC...its seen a lot of dehydrated food....if you use a smaller spoon it's like your eating twice as much :) ...errrm it's a bit grubby,:yikes: Next is Ash, Yew and Sycamore.

IMG_2379-1.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments folks. I have not seen Wayland's box...don't know how I missed that one but will hunt it down:)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
You know, the more I look at that, the more I like it.
I'm having visions of inserts for holding bowls and pots and utensils etc.

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
That sounds like a great idea...stacking bowls and trays and wooden cutlery and...and ....and ...think of the work :yikes:

Incidently the 2nd box is not my design, it is based upon a traditional Japanese carpenters toolbox, usually these would be nailed together or sometimes dovetailed.

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
Here you go Snozz....it is easier to visualise when dismantled.
I actually did the Carpenters box using only hand tools... well I did cheat at the end with the electric sander:eek:

IMG_2372.jpg

Thanks again for your kind comments guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE