woodburning tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troyka

Forager
hi i am making a walking stick for my farther in law, and wanted to carve something simple, but im not sure of my skill so i thought about woodburning,

anyone do this? who can offer tips advice or point me at a website?

also by the look of most tools they look like soldering irons (which i have one) can i change tips and use it?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
They are very like soldering irons, but usually have a temperature control, for better control of how much they burn the material you are using. You can burn basic designs with a soldering iron, if you have a fine tip, but you may have to move the tip quickly over the wood to avoid over burning. If you practice on some scrap wood first you can get a feel for it.
If you want a proper woodburning tool then I believe Axminster Power Tools sell them.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Or you could knock one up from a thin peice of branch and some wire from a coat hanger and heat it in a fire to have a go. Costs all of nothing.

spatulaandwoodburningtool.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you get good at it you can do amazing things- my avatar was "burned" onto leather by a member here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE