Wood Sorrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
WoodSorrel.jpg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Perhaps a doctor or food scientist can confirm, but I have read somewhere that you can apparently mitigate the effects of Oxalic acid (that gives Sorrel its characteristic zingy taste) by consuming food that contains calcium at the same time. The idea being that Oxalic acid in high enough (though non-fatal) doses can lead to kidney stones as it binds with calcium, forming a non-soluble salt which precipitates out in the urine. So, by consuming calcium rich foods you encourage that binding process before it's been absorbed through the gut.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Very nice picture and an amazing plant. Some say it's the Irish Shamrock. What plant is the Irish Shamrock?
It's interesting that some foods that are described as 'edible' in some guide books are in fact not totally good for you in abundance.
In the book 'Into the Wild' the lad Christopher McCandless (sic) ate a wild plant root food that was decribed as edible in guide books but ultimately died from the concentrated toxins or at least the debilitating effects of the food. (couldn't get out of bed to forage or hunt) I think it was from the potato family??? Anyone remember the plant name or effects?

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Think the plant was called the common name of bush potato and he ended up eating the seed pods rather than the roots (not entirely sure of exact details but close enough). It meant he stopped absorbing nutrients effectivley and due to the fact he was buring more calories he was taking in anyway he died of starvation.
A tragic end no doubt. Inspiring story though and great book/beautiful film.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Think the plant was called the common name of bush potato and he ended up eating the seed pods rather than the roots (not entirely sure of exact details but close enough). It meant he stopped absorbing nutrients effectivley and due to the fact he was buring more calories he was taking in anyway he died of starvation.
A tragic end no doubt. Inspiring story though and great book/beautiful film.

Indeed a very sorry tale, but a very compelling book. I hope the lad is happy wherever he is now. Not too bothered about the film, but I read the book many years ago when it first came out and hope if there is something beyond, that Mr/Master McCandless has all the happiness and good fortune that is possible.
Not many folks have the guts to follow their dreams. That guy did. It didn't end happily but fair play to that dream. Nice one Mr McCandless. God bless you , wherever you are are !.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE