Wood markings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm carving hazel again today for another project and I noticed the orange markings on the greenwood. I've seen it before on other hazel carvings I've done, but I want to ask what they are. They're obviously a component of the core of the wood in one or more layers. There are similar markings on most wood, but these orange strips are quite distinctive.

VX8Eh2Y.jpg

Any idea?

Thanks you.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Basically it's quite simple as the wood grows outward, the living protoplasm inside the cells dies and deteriorates, leaving behind just the cell walls. These walls are composed mostly of cellulose fibers, which give the wood its strength. The fibers are bound together with lignin, a glue-like substance. The hollow longitudinal cells become part of the sapwood, conducting the sap up and down the tree. The hollow rays store plant sugars. After several seasons, the older sapwood turns to heartwood. The sap dries up, and mineral compounds called extractives form on the cell walls so the orange stripes you see are lignin .

You will find that sometimes these are quite hard to carve around as sometimes especially in sap producing conifers they have pockets which are still liquid and ruin the carving so when choosing your stock take from the inner heartwood rather than the outer sapwood a basic understanding of the make up of any material you work with will improve your craftsmanship

So from the centre out a tree piece of timber is made up from

Pith
Heartwood
Sapwood
Cambium
Bark

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Basically it's quite simple as the wood grows outward, the living protoplasm inside the cells dies and deteriorates, leaving behind just the cell walls. These walls are composed mostly of cellulose fibers, which give the wood its strength. The fibers are bound together with lignin, a glue-like substance. The hollow longitudinal cells become part of the sapwood, conducting the sap up and down the tree. The hollow rays store plant sugars. After several seasons, the older sapwood turns to heartwood. The sap dries up, and mineral compounds called extractives form on the cell walls so the orange stripes you see are lignin .

You will find that sometimes these are quite hard to carve around as sometimes especially in sap producing conifers they have pockets which are still liquid and ruin the carving so when choosing your stock take from the inner heartwood rather than the outer sapwood a basic understanding of the make up of any material you work with will improve your craftsmanship

Pith
Heartwood
Sapwood
Cambium
Bark
Insightful post, friend. Thank you.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex

Pith
Heartwood
Sapwood
Cambium
Bark

I always learn something new whenever I come on this forum :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE