Wood Jewel Puukko Reveiw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Hi there guys,
im now going to reveiw a knife that i bought in january earlier this year to replace my mora, the knife cost around £40. in my opinion the knife is worth much much more.

bushcraft004.jpg

the handle is made from a beautifuly grained peice of curly birch, leather, birch bark and reindeer antler. the handle not only looks great but it also fits nicley in your hand, feels smooth and gives great grip in various positions. the blade is a 3mm lauri high carbon steel blade of 7.7cm with a brilliant high grind which provides great slicing ability, i also added a small microbevel because it prevents damage when doing game prep. the blade is has an unpolished "forge finish" which adds a little protection from corrosion to the RAZOR sharp blade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

so lets talk performance, here are some pics taken out in the garden earlier.

first up,

Slicing and carving:

0mgitsme009.jpg

with its incredibly sharp high carbon steel blade and high scandi grind, cutting through most things E.g. Wood, flesh and bone very easy and the micro bevel adds that little bit of extra strength to help the edge stand up to the rigours of bushcraft. the wide blade shape also helps for slicing, its a very usable shape of blade being able to do anything from splitting to fine carving, the tip is also very usable for cutting notches and skinning bunnies.

0mgitsme010.jpg

as you can see the blade slices through easily, like a lightsaber through butter.

now lets take a look at,

Battoning:

0mgitsme001.jpg

some people state that stick tangs are not up to battoning however we forget that throughout history all the big chopping blades, swords, billhooks, cleavers ect, were of stick tang construction. i beleive dave budd did a test between a stick tang knife and a full tang, the results were very similar.
your more likley to have your blade fail on you than your tang but with 3-5mm you should be fine.
anyway, this knife was great at battoning, no problems what-so-ever,
the 3.5mm spine was perfectly fine for splitting the wood, again i was glad of the microbevel adding strength to the edge whilst battoning.
and after all this work it could still shave paper

0mgitsme004.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

so ratings,

Edge retention-:):):):):)
blade shape-:):):):):)
Battening-:):):):)
Handle-:):):):)
Sheath-:):):):)
Sharpness-:):):):):)
handling-:):):):):)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

all in all this is a great knife, it looks great for a working knife, its extreamly sharp and stays that way for a long time, its very versitle with a amazing slicing ablity.
to be honest i would be surprised if it wasnt great as the people of finland have used this design for hundreds of years, if there were any problems with it, it wouldnt be here now.
puukkos are brilliant

thanks
josh

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Good review, those knives look a lot like the KT-Line from Kellam (KT-Line), heck I think they're the same knives. Cheaper under the wood jewel name though. Sure a mora could do just as well(probably) but those kind of knives just look so much better! They come a lot sharper than moras though.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Excellent review, I enjoyed that. Thanks for taking the time.

Lovely looking knives, it's good to know they perform also. They really do sound like a bargain at that price.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Good review, those knives look a lot like the KT-Line from Kellam (KT-Line), heck I think they're the same knives. Cheaper under the wood jewel name though. Sure a mora could do just as well(probably) but those kind of knives just look so much better! They come a lot sharper than moras though.

yeah they are the kellam KT range and the casstroms finnish wilderness range. great knives, i personaly think there more functional than moras, the blade is stronger, sharper and the spine of the blade is softer than the edge which results in great strength and sharpness, kellam sells the blade blanks of this knife and states them as "specialy heat treated", the sheaths are also realy nice, they fit perfectly, there good and sturdy and look nice. the knives themselves are very rugged aswell if you have a good look at the blade blank https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.p...&osMod=product_info&cPath=94_23&products_id=8 you will see the tang is very thick so the knife can stand up to alot of abuse.
overall would recomend one there amazing value for money.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ya I guess that SPT (what kellam calls it) blade thing makes for better knives but then you lose the little bonus feature of being able to strike a firesteel off the spine, nothing too important but I do like using my knifes spine to strike my firesteel. By the way, have you had any problems with the edge chipping on yours? I've heard that can be a problem because the edge is so hard.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Great review mate! Thanks for posting it. Also, as well as it's practical attributes, that's one nice looking knife.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Ya I guess that SPT (what kellam calls it) blade thing makes for better knives but then you lose the little bonus feature of being able to strike a firesteel off the spine, nothing too important but I do like using my knifes spine to strike my firesteel. By the way, have you had any problems with the edge chipping on yours? I've heard that can be a problem because the edge is so hard.

ive never had any probelms with chipping, the edge is in perfect condition after loads of battoning, carving, slicing and ive even cut the bones of rabbits wth this knife.
i use my opinel to strike my ferro rod so the soft spine isnt realy a problem.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
How is the ability to strike a firesteel against the back of the blade? My experience is that carbon steel knives performs poorly in this task. Not that your knife isn´t good, but I´m looking for your type of knife (puuko, sami style)
that creates huges sparks from a firesteel, made of carbonsteel like 1095 or similar.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
How is the ability to strike a firesteel against the back of the blade? My experience is that carbon steel knives performs poorly in this task. Not that your knife isn´t good, but I´m looking for your type of knife (puuko, sami style)
that creates huges sparks from a firesteel, made of carbonsteel like 1095 or similar.

well because of the forge finish and rounded spine it doesnt strike sparks from my ferro rod, i generaly use my opinal for that task, which is always in my pocket.

i dont think you can get puukko's in 1095 steel, probably because they are very traditional scandinavian blades and 1095 is a steel found more often in maerican blades like ka-bars.
most puukkos are made using lauri blades which are made from a very pure and high quality composition of carbon steel that sharpens very fine and is easy to maintain, this steel is superior to 1095,
the blades are also hardened to HRC 63-65 and tempered along the back of the blade to HRC 59 so edge retention is pretty good aswell, if you get one it may come with a secondary microbevel, i dont see this as a problem as it adds strength, i end up convexing mine to add a bit more bite.

i picked up this knife from a shop near cheddar in somerset however you can buy them and similar puukkos from casstroms and and springfeilds, just google them and you should find loads of good knives.

ATB
josh

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Good review Josh. I am researching Knives at he minute and im really torn between a couple of different models this gives me another to have a look at. I like the look of it too.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Nice review, Josh.

Andy, if you are after buying a new knife then I can bring my collection with me next time we meet. None are for sale :D but there's enough variation af blades/handles to find something you like.

(sorry for the slight hijack)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE