Wood glue for Jute knife handle wrap?

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
i was just reading some posts about wrapping stick tang knife handles from Jute. The people had used fibreglass resin to harden the wrap and the results looked fantastic. I'm definitely going to give this a try but i'm wondering whether i'd get good results with wood glue (titebond II to be precise) I'd be interested to hear the views of forum members?

Thanks in advance Si :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I haft a lot of the Pacific Northwest native style crooked knife blades for wood carving. To hide my unsightly workmanship,
I cover the area with some sort of a #18 surveyor's cord whipping. I rub ordinary carpenter's wood glue into the nylon fiber.
It sets up nice and solid, dries transparent, bonds the cord to the wooden handle and there's never been any movement.
I think it would be ideal and economical for jute.
The only thing is that it's a glossy finish in the thick spots.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Just to be clear I'm talking about making the entire handle out of jute. Blade, bolster, jute wrapped round the tang and some bonding agent coated on the layers of jute. :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you take a 1m x 2m piece of cotton blanket, dunk it in a bucket of carpenter's glue and wring it out,
you will have enough open working time to shape it around a glue-proof form.
It sets up almost as stiff as thin plywood. Useful stagecraft theatrical process.

Plan A: Cut the jute into many panels, paint with glue and stack them, put a brick on it and wait a week.
Plan B: Cut the jute into long strips like you're going to make a plaster set bandage.
Paint with glue and roll tightly. Expect a couple weeks to set up.

In any case you should be able to cut, saw and sand the hardened result. Jute is woody textured stuff, anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE