Wood Gas Stove Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Having just received a wood gas stove today and not having used one before, I have read a comment saying that the stove should be filled with wood fuel from the ground up without the fuel tray being installed.

The comment also said that the fuel tray was to be used for solid fuel (such as hexi tabs) or used to support an alcohol burner.

Filling the stove from the ground up would hold more fuel and I guess have a longer burn time, but I'm not sure what is the best way to use this stove.

The pic shows the item I refer to as the fuel tray (arrowed).

Can you help guys ? What do you find works best for you.

Cheers.

rorymax
stove%203_zpsng8s6hlr.jpg

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
You definitely want the fuel tray in for wood, this is what allows air to be cleanly drawn in at the bottom and to be sucked up in the double walled hollow chamber so it can ignite coming out of the top holes, mine came with a separate little bowl to put a alcohol stove on inside the chamber ontop of the fuel tray, it does not gasify the air with a alcohol stove inside though

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The gasifying process works best if you don't overfill them

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly. Fill up to the air holes on the inside chamber but no higher. My first burn I got a bit happy with the wood and it kept going out. A quick check on the net revealed I had over filled it.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I love it when you have a little charcoal nest roaring away in there about 3 inches deep and it is gasifying like crazy and everything you drop in instantly combusts

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I love it when you have a little charcoal nest roaring away in there about 3 inches deep and it is gasifying like crazy and everything you drop in instantly combusts

Do you mean actual charcoal Bod as in the wood charcoal or the coal type eggy shaped lumps bought in bags from a store ?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
After you have been burning twigs and lumps of wood for a while you get a nest of near charcoaled wood inside glowing white hot

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
After you have been burning twigs and lumps of wood for a while you get a nest of near charcoaled wood inside glowing white hot
Ahh, I get what you mean, so its really hot embers fast igniting added fuel.

I have not had a chance to experiment with this stove yet, planning to do that this coming week though.

Some kids coming around to play with different stove types, under a tarpaulin, with a blazing brazier of nicely dried sycamore, not as daring as it may sound as it will take place in my garden.

I'm actually hoping that the cold weather and snow on the ground lasts, rain is not as much fun and certainly does not have the ambience that only snow can bring to a kids outing.

The plan is for the kids to cook their own preferred meal (a small amount of something nourishing :)) before they start on the roasted marshmallows and other yummyables.

rorymax

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like a good time to be had, i'd have loved getting to do something like that as a kid.

Since getting my woodgas stove all my other stoves have been retired and the first into retirement were the ones that needed a bottle of fuel carried to make them work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE