Wood, cordage etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
I've only started reading about bushcraft etc, was just a vier/admirer beforehand but never actually took it any further. I was wondering if it is possible to do any cordage at this time of the year with nettles for example. And the same goes for some carving I was going to attempt soon - does it matter that it is winter?

Thanks.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Off the top of my head if you want some easy accessible material for making cordage at this time of year id go for Clematis (Clematis vitalba).

Den

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Is it right that if you grasp the nettle from the base and swiftly 'strip' the leaves in an 'upward' direction to the growing tip you don't get stung? - or is it just a myth to catch out gullible 'freshers'?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Summat like that - but it takes practice :eek:
and practice hurts :eek:

The sting is from the hairs, both on the stalk, and the leaves. If you 'rub' upwards with the hairs they will come off - if you rub the other way they dig in and sting!!

With the leaves it's best to pull them away from the main stalk, in line with, and in the same direction, as the leaf stems. If you pull them downwards, you end up pulling strips of 'skin' off the nettle stalk.

Alternatively, do what I do - wear gloves!!!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A very good cordage can be made any time of year from Phormium, New Zealand Flax

2.JPG

Cut off a leaf. Leave it to dry for a week, then split off strands from the side of the leaf. Should get strands up to a metre in length. Then reverse twist it into cordage.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Kiamyr said:
Don't forget that this will be my first time in even attempting anything like this so... :)
Good luck!
It does work being "bold". If I grab nettles, where I grab them is usually ok, but the bloody nettle catches my wrist or somewhere and stings like hell!
The nettle works as the hair is like a glass tube, full of acid, if you break the hair at the base by grabbing hard it wont sting you.
The problem is if you touch it lightly the hair breaks the skin then puts acid on the wound :eek: (It is close enough explination for the pedants!)
So if you run your hand along the nettle a couple of times you should break all the hairs off so the nettle will lose its sting, and be useable for cordage etc.
Incidentally I beleive, usual dont try this at home warnings, you can eat/chew nettles without treatment as the skin in the mouth is too tough/thick for the sting to bother you! But that leaves the question, Why do they sting?

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
I need to see some video footage of using nettles to make cordage, I just can't get to grips with the task. On Bushcraft Series 2, is there some guide showing how to do this?

And anyone able to help me with woods? I'm just going to test my first knife with some 'simple' carving projects.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Not sure about the nettle soup yet :D

It was lashing rain today, so I presume any wood that was out in that is useless for carving/burning for a while? Or what's the norm in this case?

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Haha

How long would it take to dry to use as fire wood?

You sure it's okay to carve with it like that? I.e. Will it hinder my learning process?

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
You'd be surprised at how dry it is on the inside if you've got a reasonably thick bit. If you split some wood, you'll see. It need's a good soaking to be wet all the way through....

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
It sounds like it may be Elder. Elder has a pith running through the centre.

For a simple carving project try making a fish hook from Hawthorn. You'll need a twig with a side shoot and just carve into shape of a fish hook with the side shoot as the spike/sharp bit and the main twig as the shaft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE