Wood Burner Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi guys,

I am about to move in to a new house and as well as gas central heating it has a Wood Burner in the living room!! part of the reason I had to have it...I'm just kind of looking for some tips really and general information or things you guys that have them think it's worth knowing. Also; being 19...money is a big issue for bills etc...what is the cheapest way to do things? e.g coal/wood mix..just coal/wood etc

Thanks in advance

I have also attached some pictures sorry for the poor quality

20121221184204.jpg

20121221184145i.jpg

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I'm no expert but that looks like a wood burner not a multi fuel stove. Is there any info on it? Makers name, model that sort of thing.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
couldn't you still use coal in it? I'm sure in the pictures of the home with all the previous owners stuff in the house they had a basket full of coal in front of it? and no unfortunately not. Just the Kensa or whatever it says in the inside of the stove. Any tips how to get the most out of it?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
couldn't you still use coal in it? I'm sure in the pictures of the home with all the previous owners stuff in the house they had a basket full of coal in front of it? and no unfortunately not. Just the Kensa or whatever it says in the inside of the stove. Any tips how to get the most out of it?
As I said I'm no expert, but all the multi fuel stoves I looked at had the fire on a raised grate, I think that coal can burn out the base. Are there any fireplace fitters local to have a chat with? As for use, have the chimney swept, and use good quality dry wood.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
another important question, is it unwise to collect my own firewood? the farmer in a field next to my parents house has just cut down a load of trees (few months ago) and I went over to ask him if he needed the wood...he said no so I took a lot of it and it has been sitting in my garage for a couple of months. Can I use this wood and other wood I harvest from his felled trees...or do I need to use wood that you buy from shops in the bags. The ones that have been seasoned for a year or so

thanks

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
So long as it is split and seasoned it should be fine, however it is better to avoid soft and resinous wood, I try to avoid the garage stuff as I have never liked the quality or the price!

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Search the net for the gasification method of burning. Basically you fill the box, start the fire on TOP of the pile, give it lots of airflow then when the wood is almost entirely strands formed into a burning inferno of charcoal you shut down the draft....just leave enough draft to keep the smoke going up the chimney. Your wood will last way longer like that and the heat will stay in the house instead of going up the chimney. It also puts a lot less smoke into the air.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
I have 2 woodburners in my house , one in main room 6kw , and a 14kw one in the kitchen. The Mrs and the 2 cats love it .

Living here in the sticks, everyone uses wood for heating.

I use seasoned oak , delivered seasoned in November , some stored under a tarpaulin , some dry in the barn.
I will use 15 cu meters this winter.

The wood comes in 1 meter lengths , and my faithful Husqvarna chainsaw does the business.

Just the ticket for those long evenings.

Keep the glass clean by scouring with a damp sponge and wood ash.

Enjoy your life !!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
So long as it is split and seasoned it should be fine, however it is better to avoid soft and resinous wood, I try to avoid the garage stuff as I have never liked the quality or the price!

nah it's not pine or anything, and well it's only been in my garage a couple months...do you think it's better to buy wood until the wood I have already has seasoned a bit more? also where are the cheapest place to get hold of wood?

Search the net for the gasification method of burning. Basically you fill the box, start the fire on TOP of the pile, give it lots of airflow then when the wood is almost entirely strands formed into a burning inferno of charcoal you shut down the draft....just leave enough draft to keep the smoke going up the chimney. Your wood will last way longer like that and the heat will stay in the house instead of going up the chimney. It also puts a lot less smoke into the air.

cool thanks for that!

Keep the glass clean by scouring with a damp sponge and wood ash.

Enjoy your life !!

thanks for your tip!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
As previously mentioned, a multi-fuel stove will have a grate in the bottom, in a pure wood burner a grate is not necessary as wood will happily burn in it's own ash (Like a campfire). A build up of ash (burned coal or similar) will slowly stifle a fire by killing air flow from underneath. With a grate fitted the coal ash falls clear and allows air flow.

You could of course get a grate made up as an accessory and just put it in to burn solid fuel when required.

One thing I have learned from the wood burner on my boat is, burning unseasoned or even slightly damp wood promotes a build up of wood tar in the flu which when it becomes excessive will cause air flow problems too.

If I may just point out Bushcraftsman? Be wary of burning old wooden pallets. Many still in circulation were treated with a chemical spray to kill pests which was always a problem with palletted goods shipped from some areas of the world. Various larvae, eggs etc: trapped in the pallet construction. Burning those pallets in a confined area may...may..cause breathing/ health problems for some people, especially nippers.

Most pallets now are heat treated to kill bugs and are actually stamped HT, so just be aware of some commercial wood that you may get offered.

Someone on a canal boat not far from here suffered what she thought were Asthma attacks which turned out to be caused by burning pallet wood from the nearby docks.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
My friend has a zig zag of pipes behind the wood burner, so the pipes are filled with mains water. So when the pipes then feed the central heating/hot water, they are so warm very little heating is required. This way if the woodburner is lit, they use little oil. They are not connected to gas hence the oil.

They can still use the central heating/hot water without the woodburner.

So that's the basics but they did not do it DIY, they got a plumber to add some other bits and do it correctly for safety.

Last edited:

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
i have an open fire and use collected wood only.
maplins sell a damp meter for about £30 when i got mine.
less than 20% moisture ideally less than 15%. most woods can be burnt but resinous woods take longer.
cut down in winter it can be used next winter cut down in summer use it second winter. pine etc. take another year.
when it cracks and the bark becomes loose it is ready.
these are basic guild lines you will learn what to do.
have the flue swept and a certificate for the sweeping issued. get the people who are selling to have this done. the sweep should mark any problems down on the cert. it may save you the expense of problems.
if it has a stainless steel liner bear in mind these are replaceable parts and are guaranteed for 15 or 25 years depending on grade.
if you use damp wood you can block a six inch liner in a week.

smokeless coal is a certain type of coal for use in restricted areas and restricted appliances.
check the area you are in to make use you can burn wood and not only smokeless.

don't "slumber burn" loading the burner up shutting down the air intake and going to bed. the fire needs to burn hot not to block the flue.

sounds quite a lot but anyone using a stove should easily follow these rules.

hope this helps.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
As already said seasoned wood is the key!
I always tell my customers to buy logs in the spring, that way they can store them all summer and they know the woods dry for the winter.
A moisture meter is also a good idea, also a stove thermometer.
Have fun and stay warm!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Kensal 20 is designed to have a grate - do NOT burn any smokeless or wood without it - you absolutely will damage the stove. Talk to redfyre (the makers). They will sell you a spare. They aren't that expensive so don't worry.

You can burn wood, smokeless or anthracite but not normal house coal with a grate. You need to regulate the vents differently for smokeless and anthracite (bottom vent part open) to bring coal air in under the grate to prevent it burning out. With wood you top vent to create an airwash to keep the door clean.

You can certainly cut your own wood - we do. Any wood is fine, but pine and spruce can cause some cresote to your chimney. If your chimney is twin wall lined and you run your stove correctly its less of a worry.

We cook and heat with solid fuel, so any questions, fire away :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE