Wonky Wood Spirit staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've just finished another Wood Spirit staff made from Ash, this one is a bit wonky and I gave him a long
beard, I think I might be getting addicted to carving these!.
I fitted another Brass ferrule, I've yet to make a lanyard for it, although it looks ok without one.

WoodSpirits.jpg

A picture of the two wise old Spirits by my front door in the hall.

WonkyAshWoodSpirit1.jpg

WonkyAshWoodSpirit.jpg

Hope you like it.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
These look nothing but fantastic, I would love to have a go over the winter hold but wouldnt even know how to start. Althought I do now have a carving knife

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Any tutorials or advice on doing this? do you carve green or dry?
i'm shortly heading out to collect some more hazel this year for staffs coming into the summer/next year so if i do em green i can give it a proper go.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hey up thanks for the link , you haftoo join the bushcraft usa site , as the link is spread over several pages, but it is quite outstanding work
Nenook

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thats some great work!! thanks for sharing the pics...

For anyone else interested in this, there is a great video on youtube shwoing you how to do it...although the end result is nowhere near as good as this, it is great to get to grips with the basics...

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks for the comments, this one is only the 3 rd one I have done really so I'm no expert, I might have a go at a tutorial if I can get time.
I do use a pencil or pen to mark out some of the features and just use some cheap fine detail carving gouges, they seem to work ok.
Any tutorials or advice on doing this? do you carve green or dry?
i'm shortly heading out to collect some more hazel this year for staffs coming into the summer/next year so if i do em green i can give it a proper go.

I did these ones when the wood was dry, Hazel is great for carving green so that would be good.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE