Within the spirit of the law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
IN terms of a suitable knife that doesn't look offensive, what about some sort of pruning knife. The sort you get form garden centres.
OK the steel may be naff, but there are loads of people both here and on BB who would be able to re-blade it with decent steel without too much cost.
I know falcon has done just that recently and his looks very nice.

These definately don't look like a weapon but I suppose it depends if you want a hook blade :?:

Mark

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I would have to suggest that whatever you use , fit a strong lanyard ! the reason i say this is that there is always an element amoung kids that are more than willing to lift your knife for there own ! I know that most of them are good as gold , but it only takes one kid to ruin the whole day . Seen it happen to many times . Whilst in Cadets , one cadet on annual camp got caught trying to nick a gurkhas kukri ! Not good
Pumbaa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
pumbaa said:
I would have to suggest that whatever you use , fit a strong lanyard ! the reason i say this is that there is always an element amoung kids that are more than willing to lift your knife for there own ! I know that most of them are good as gold , but it only takes one kid to ruin the whole day . Seen it happen to many times . Whilst in Cadets , one cadet on annual camp got caught trying to nick a gurkhas kukri ! Not good
Pumbaa

This is why I was looking at that neck knife; it's short bladed, no footering about trying to open it while I'm holding onto a bundle of fibres, it looks like a tool, and I won't be tempted to put it down and mislay it.
On a big schools day, there are three of us and we might talk to 600 schoolkids in about 4 hours. We do hands on basketry/willow work, nettle/flax/hemp cordage, spinning, natural dyes, weaving, and plant uses from bark weaving, fibres..... to dyes and ointments. Adult courses are a dawdle compared to the sheer volume of kids. :)
We haven't lost a knife yet, but one of our basketmakers lost two at Tree in the Park a couple of years ago and we're all wary now. We've been told in no uncertain terms that we ought not allow the children to use our tools, even under supervision :cry: I use an Opinel as my normal pruning knife, but it's considered a 'lock' now, so that's out.
Everyone is being very circumspect about this SOG, is it really not any good then?.....I can't justify spending 3 x £29 / £58 for the other ones recommended if the idea isn't going to work out.

Thanks folks,
Toddy

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
SOG stuff is pretty good. The steel on this is AUS-6, and while it's no miracle steel that can chop crash barriers and slice concrete k-rails into thin strips it's not bad either (it's the same steel as on the Spyderco Pride).

It's small, light and the sheath looks effective and I've sure that you can get a good edge on it and maintain it easily. A quick spray with some car paint or a nice cord wrap handle might make it look friendly too.

It also doubles up as a handy bottle opener!

http://www.sogknives.com/outline.htm

If you didn't like it you're a full member Toddy and allowed to use the member's classified section here at bcUK and I'm sure you could sell it if you didn't like it.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Ulimately what you have is a tool. People carry in public Stanley knives, kitchen blades, fixed blades for dealing with carcasses, axes, pruning knives etc.

The law is is to prevent the unlawful carrying of knives and any reasonable, accountable and necessary reason will allow you to carry a knife.

There appears to be a massive hang up on the law. The words 'Lawful authority or Reasonable excuse' are quite clear. Do you need it? Yes, is there an alternative, no. Is it the best/safest option? Yes.

The advice of speaking to the local cops and getting a name is a good one though.

As for the SOG-Good blade, serrated edge, safe sheath, beer opener(!) A ceramic sharpener will keep the serrations sharp. Around the neck will keep it away from people but near to hand.

I'm a Spyderco fan though and have a Delica with neck sheath which would work for you as well. Semi-serrated edge, one handed opening, pointy tip. Recommended.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
there are a few good choices that would be very non aggressive looking for you

I think an Allen blade runt would work well if you want a fixed blade. The slate finish he's putting on now looks very rustic and ungressive IMO. This would make a great neck knife

for folders I don't see why you can't have something nice
most sheffield makers do a pruning knife in a traditional style something like
this would work

depending on what sort of handle you want they will range from about £15 upwards and have asimple carbon steel which works well

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Danceswithhelicopters said:
There appears to be a massive hang up on the law.
That there is - but there is jail involved if the advice is wrong so tempering advice with caution is not a bad thing. No forum can guarantee that any 'Lawful authority or Reasonable excuse' will be valid - and the law is extra complex when it comes to school property and such.

If you already carry an Opinel Toddy and no one gives you any hassle about it then I think you'd be fine with the SOG or Spyderco or whatever you choose.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
seems to me that the courses you describe toddy would be a good enough justification

otherwise the police would have to round up half (if not more) of the staff of the forrestry comission while they sat eating lunch in forrestry comission vans in the woods

if that doesnt make much sense , the law recently declared a car to be a public place, and if they were on lunch break then technically they could not be considered "working"

of course it aint gonna happen , because that is not what the law was (mis?)written to try and stop

seriously understand your reasons for being cautious tho specially with schoolkids

Tant

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
QUOTE (It's small, light and the sheath looks effective and I've sure that you can get a good edge on it and maintain it easily. A quick spray with some car paint or a nice cord wrap handle might make it look friendly too.)

I am sooo tempted to paint a pocket knife pink...I haven't lost my trowel yet since I coated the ferrule and top knob with nail varnish :)
Okay, I know it's a bit naff, but what kid is going to want to nick that? :naughty:

Toddy

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Toddy

Under section 139 (5) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 it is legal to carry any type of knife if you can show you require it for work. This is not affected by the prohibition on knives in schools.

So if you need it for work, and can prove that, it is quite legal to carry a fixed blade knife, or a locking folder.

:biggthump

Danzo

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
Long time since I was at school, but when I was, the woodwork shop and kitchens had lots of tools which would fall foul of the current laws.

Talk to the cops and the school authorities and you should be fine (as long as your current knife isn't a Rambo special :shock: )

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
That's the one's i was thinking about.
Anyone know where they are available in the UK ??

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I think that Heinnie are the UK distributors for Opinel (think ... ). Drop them a line and they're bound to help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE