winter Snowden advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey all, I am planning a winter Snowden trip or maybe the Black Mountains, just wanted to know your thoughts about the area...

I have some crampons and some good clothes and equipment and have been worse places before but never to these areas.. the main thing i wanted to know is will i need skis or snow shoes to enjoy the area..

the plan will be to walk up to the top and come half way down, camp the night at the lake and go back down slow time, i know people have done it so i prssume its allowed to do so, but maybe not....

very welcome to peoples views and thoughts.

and before anyone says about precations and safety, yes im clued up and yes i have all the gear, probably the only thing i dont have is a sat pnone...

many thanks all...

chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There was snow last week on the tops above 2500 ft in snowdonia but its not deep. Far too shallow for snowshoes ATM.

There's some colder weather waiting in the wings with possible snow after this thursday, personally I'd plan for crampons/axe only in Snowdonia and take advice nearer the time for the Black mountains.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Pete, should have said it will be xmas time, well around new year ish probably, im hoping to get some good snow time in, if those areas are not so good what would you suggest, has to be uk though as its 2 days maybe 3 max if i can convince the wife to let me stay out another day...:)

thanks guys

chris.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
The lake is a very good spot to camp the stars and the view down the long valy are breathtaking.I think you will need cranpons and a warking axe as the way down is stepier than it looks.Caernarfonshire, Snowdonia, Clogwyn Du'r Arddu Mountain and Lake.jpgI think skis will not be much use as the tarain is steap and rockey but if the snow is deep and not well compacted snow shoes with built in cranpons may be good but if i was to take only cranpons or snow shoes i would take the cranpons as ther will be a lot of ice and rock.Most of the time the snow is wind hardend on snowden and the place you are camping that is wear wind lives and as you will know descending a mountain can be harder than climbing it :) ... Hope this is of some help Chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
hey Pete, should have said it will be xmas time, well around new year ish probably, im hoping to get some good snow time in, if those areas are not so good what would you suggest, has to be uk though as its 2 days maybe 3 max if i can convince the wife to let me stay out another day...:)

thanks guys

chris.

I'm on the snow chase at that time too mate, obviously all depends on where gets a good dump of snow.

The Carneddau is screaming out for a winter ridge walk for me but I'd struggle not to go back to the Devils kitchen and the Glyderrau. Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr and Tryfan always pull harder than Snowden for me.

The black mountains would be fantastic to ski though with decent snow. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lannyman, the Black Mountains don't usually need snowshoes or skis, although you could use them up there after snow for certain. A few years ago I turned back when the drift were 3-4 feet high, as I only had boots, and I wasn't up on the tops. If you do decide to come down to the Black Mountains, drop me a pm, as I know the area fairly well.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well you all have me confused now, Snowdon would be good but its a bit of a drive, the Blacks are only an hour away though, but id really like to get some good snow and crampon time in, and only 2-3 days too...:( never enough time to play....

gggrrrrrrrr.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE