Winter Camp Setups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
So I know most of us will make some changes to kit between winter and summer camping but do you find yourself camping differently or setting up your camp in a different way?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've hunted the same places for many years. There are a few spots, suspicious well-shaped piles of scrawny old dead pines,
that just need a really BIG builder's tarp to become quite a camp site. All the top and bottom twigs pruned off, too.
There's been dead leaves etc, kicked over the rock ring fire pits so those places have been used.
Must be using vehicles as there's no water for a couple of miles.
That would be my main concern = water in the summer time. No shortage of snow for any winter camp.

Any small mountain creek back up some old logging road normally has at least 2 or 3 laid out tent sites.
They all get used during our Sept - Nov hunting seasons.

Reactions: Lithril

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
In the winter i keep the tarp lower, use a ground sheet for kit and i'm more aware but dragging snow or water near my sleep kit. Otherwise my set-ups are very similar.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
In Winter my tarp is set up as a diamond with side walls to keep the wind off on three sides and I use a warmer sleeping bag. And that's really it, I use the same gear year round (depending on weather forecast) :)

Wood Goblin

Feb 5, 2018
Liverpool
For me it is heavier sleeping bag up to surplus Arctic bag if it is properly cold, heavier kip mat, lower flown/pitched tarp if using one, softie keks for when inactive. Much more likely to use the chunky warm Polish Lavvu, less likely to just bivvy unless I am really confident on the weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE