Winter Boots

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

Duggie Bravo

Nomad
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Hi All,

My daughter has started playing football and looking to avoid cold feet in the winter months, I thought I’d seek the collective wisdom on what to wear.

I currently own:
Walking boots
Mud boots
Alpine boots

Is there anything out there that might be better keeping my feet warm, considering that I am going to be stood around and not walking about too much?

Budget would be up to £100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Felt lined rubber boots are fairly good, I imagine they would cover about all of British weather and mud too- At least here they are within your budget.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Duggie Bravo

Nomad
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Felt lined rubber boots are fairly good, I imagine they would cover about all of British weather and mud too- At least here they are within your budget.

I had something similar from my dad, with zips on the front, and felt liners but I never got to use them as the zips were corroded.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Pac boots.
My Sorels have given me some wonderful service, about 22 years. They have had a few DIY repairs over the last couple of years with Stormsure and inner tube patches but my feet are still being kept warm & dry.

Duggie Bravo

Nomad
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Thanks everyone, searching through the details on Muck Boots website I have discovered that my MuckMasters are rated to -30, so with a pair of decent socks they should be plenty warm enough.
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and offer their advice on boots that are available.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Felt insoles, 3 or 4 pairs of them, Warm requires dry insulation to prevent heat transfer. I change insoles for every day of 2+ hours outdoors in my Canadian winter. An afternoon of forest grouse hunting. Yesterday's insoles get stood up some place nice and warm to dry.

Those are under 2 pairs of wool socks. Same deal = dry everything every night.

I can buy felt insoles which have a infrared-reflecting, aluminized shiny coating on one side. Nobody here is raving about the value. I did buy some years back to alternate with ordinary ones and I really could see no difference for tha added prices.

Then, of course, are the genuine snowmobile boots for whole long days out blasting around on sleds. Tolko, for example.
They have removable felt liner booties and you can buy sets of sized spares. Fantastic to jump into those "barefoot" and run outside in snow like sugar to do stuff at -20C.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you're standing around it really helps to have a lot of insulation underneath, between you and the cold ground, be that in the boot, the boot itself or on the ground. So boots with thick soles and a felt insole and then find something to stand on (planks of wood, branches, pieces of cardboard, bits of foam mat etc depending on where you are).

Also, make sure you've got room in the boot for air to insulate (and blood to circulate). No point in thick socks if you're then cramming them into boots that are too small for foot+sock and end up squeezing the socks flat.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.