winter boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm suffering with cold feet, so I've been looking at the army cold weather boots & the German mountain boots. Trouble is the Lowa British army boots are a bit high, I like the look of the mountain boot, but the sole looks a bit "clumpy" any thoughts ?.

Rob

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IMHO Pac boots are the way to go in winter. I've had my Sorel's for 15 years and never looked back. They've lasted well, couple of Seamsure repairs and are comfy. It's worth getting any boots intended for winter slightly larger to allow for another layer of socks. If your going to a retailer to try boots on it's a good idea to do in the afternoon as your feet are bigger then!

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
My experience it's more important to have a well fitting boot, than an actual boot made for winter, when it comes to freezing.

Most important is to be able to fit good inner soles, and substantial socks, without cramming the boot so full that the blood circulation suffers. This can be achieved with any boot that fits loosely without moving around a lot. Look for a lot of wiggle room for your toes.
Many of the old timers around here use Wellies with wool liners for working with logging and other work.

All that being said, boots especially made for winter can be better in other respects. Softer rubber mix in the outer sole is one example.
EDIT: But I'd stay away from any boot with sewn-in insulation. How are you gonna dry them when you're out in the sticks? Loose inners can be hung above the fire.

I use the same boot for winter and summer hiking (Lundhags Park) just vary the thickness of the socks and swap inner soles. Downside is they're kinda slippery on ice, but I use yaktrax and the like in those circumstances anyway.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
IMHO Pac boots are the way to go in winter. I've had my Sorel's for 15 years and never looked back. They've lasted well, couple of Seamsure repairs and are comfy. It's worth getting any boots intended for winter slightly larger to allow for another layer of socks. If your going to a retailer to try boots on it's a good idea to do in the afternoon as your feet are bigger then!

Have had heaps of winter boots for climbing walking over the years. My Meindl Dovre Extremes are great for heavy use. But for podding about in the snow & cold the Sorel Caribous with their felt liners are very toasty and comfortable.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Woof if your just in the woods you don't need boots, get a pair of wellies and a couple of pairs of good warm socks and the job is done.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for the advice folks. I now work outside as a gardener so that's what I want them for. I have meindl walking boots, which I like, but they are to good for work, & I was hoping to keep within a budget of £70, that's why I mentioned those particular boots in the original post.
Currently, I'm swopping between a pair of screwfix rigger boots & a pair of buckler heavy duty boots. The riggers are fur lined, but I don't like the sloppy fit, the bucklers, are comfy, waterproof but heavy & cold.

Rob

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Have had heaps of winter boots for climbing walking over the years. My Meindl Dovre Extremes are great for heavy use. But for podding about in the snow & cold the Sorel Caribous with their felt liners are very toasty and comfortable.

Where did you buy the Sorel boots? I like the look of their Snowlion XT or Glacier XT boots, but they don't list any non US retailers on their site.

J

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Woof - look at the Grubbs insulated Neoprene wellies next time - comfortable, 100% waterproof and warm as toast!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks Hugh for the tip, I looked at the welly warehouse as they have some good deals on, but for all round work I prefer a laced boot.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Where did you buy the Sorel boots? I like the look of their Snowlion XT or Glacier XT boots, but they don't list any non US retailers on their site.

J

I got them through Tiso. They don't stock a full range but can order non stock items. I'm sure that Sorel have a UK based web presence? Still good to try some first as they're sizing is slightly odd. Wide but not very deep. Though you don't want a tight fit as constriction will cause the feet to get cold. Cracking boots, great in snow though can be skitey on ice, though your spikes will sort that out.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I'm suffering with cold feet, so I've been looking at the army cold weather boots & the German mountain boots. Trouble is the Lowa British army boots are a bit high, I like the look of the mountain boot, but the sole looks a bit "clumpy" any thoughts ?.

Rob
I bought a pair of these last October and they've been great. http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-tec-asgard-200-waterproof-snow-boots-p277186

My experience is totally different from the reviews. Mine have lasted fine with no waterproof issues. Very warm and solid boots.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Been trying out the Karimor SF boot(brown), either thick socks or thin socks both work well. They worked well today in a rather sodden QE forrest park. Although Goretex lined, my feet avoided the usual sweaty sock situation i get with my scarpas.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well I ordered a pair of haix goretex combat boots & they arrived Saturday, will see how they go over the next few weeks, but they seem comfy straight out of the box, come with spare laces too !.

Rob

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
My experience it's more important to have a well fitting boot, than an actual boot made for winter, when it comes to freezing.

Most important is to be able to fit good inner soles, and substantial socks, without cramming the boot so full that the blood circulation suffers. This can be achieved with any boot that fits loosely without moving around a lot. Look for a lot of wiggle room for your toes.
Many of the old timers around here use Wellies with wool liners for working with logging and other work.

All that being said, boots especially made for winter can be better in other respects. Softer rubber mix in the outer sole is one example.
EDIT: But I'd stay away from any boot with sewn-in insulation. How are you gonna dry them when you're out in the sticks? Loose inners can be hung above the fire.

I use the same boot for winter and summer hiking (Lundhags Park) just vary the thickness of the socks and swap inner soles. Downside is they're kinda slippery on ice, but I use yaktrax and the like in those circumstances anyway.

Thats my experience too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE