Will this work or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I was chatting about parachutes with a mate the other day and he came up with the idea of water proofing a chute using the waterproofing agent you put in cement . Either dilute and spray on or dilute in a water butt and give the chute a good dunking then spread out to dry. If this is feasable or not coz if it is it would much cheeper than using more conventional tent reproofer type of stuff . Your opinions please!!!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I thought most chutes these days were made of zero porosity nylon, effectively silnylon?

White spirit would weaken the fabric and make the chute deadly.

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I was chatting about parachutes with a mate the other day and he came up with the idea of water proofing a chute using the waterproofing agent you put in cement . Either dilute and spray on or dilute in a water butt and give the chute a good dunking then spread out to dry. If this is feasable or not coz if it is it would much cheeper than using more conventional tent reproofer type of stuff . Your opinions please!!!

No it will not work, the waterproofer you are talking about works on two fronts, a chemical reaction with the cement and by bonding onto the cement particals to block the microscopic pores left by bleed water.
Better to use a fabric waterproofer.

nomadcelt

Jul 1, 2009
Portsmouth, UK
I had to use A LOT of nikwax for my cargo chute....didn't really work either. I'm not sure I really see the point, to be honest. Unless you are pressed up against it the water runs down the nylon and you still don't get wet. I think it would be a relatively good idea with a small chute but really, just pull it tight.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK

I've got a bit of experience with parachutes and my answer is no, this will, as someone has already said make it brittle.

It also depends on what kind of 'chute it is and how you erect it, cargo 'chutes are difficult to work with as a waterproof group shelter, however, the old personal straight panel 'chutes are easier and if you keep the panels pulled tight, you'll find it's waterproof enough without any treatment, the problem in a downpour then will be drainage!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE