Will it Jerky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I did a really nice Christmas jerky once. With Turkey, orange, cranberry, cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of cloves (but a couple in the other spices and left it over night then wipped then out before I made the wet marinade. I also made some tuna jerky and it was really nice but dried that hard that it was like eating glass :D

Slightly off topic but does anyone use Japanese Bonito flakes? It's usually skipjack tuna, dried and very finely shaved. Its great in stocks and stews.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I've never made jerky but I do like it. I've bought some jack link's beef jerky which was pretty good but it was expensive and the jerky that's around here tastes like dog food, but it's not so don't worry. I should try to make some jerky, I may try it in my oven or something sometime with beef or with rabbit if I ever get one... I do like the jack link's beef jerky commercials though, messin' with sasquatch... lol

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Mistwalker Post 24

Please please let us know how the heart went.
I love lambs heart stew and no way can I afford to mess up jerky rump steak, this will please me of so many points

Thanks in advance

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
I've been playing with the idea of jerkying tuna steaks as they can be eaten part cooked. Sounds like it will be nice as tuna steak is good.

Dried tuna shavings (katsuobushi) are used extensively in japanese cooking for making soup stocks in combination with dried kelp (konbu) and dried shiitake mushrooms. I'm not sure about their drying process, but it costs a fortune over here (50g for a fiver?). It would be interesting to hear your results.

Chicken and also horse sashimi (i.e raw or sometimes only very briefly seared on the outside) can both be found on restaurant menus in japan, so I'm not entirely convinced that chicken produced in the right circumstances is that dangerous unless cooked to a crisp!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mistwalker Post 24

Please please let us know how the heart went.
I love lambs heart stew and no way can I afford to mess up jerky rump steak, this will please me of so many points

Thanks in advance

I did mine with ox heart. I found it had to soaked in the marinade for longer than normal meat as it doesn't penitrate the dense meat well. It came out like jerky, a bit tougher but that might due to over drying as I am still getting used to my oven's dihydrator setting. It got eaten very quickly dispite it been three large bags of jerky.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Chicken and also horse sashimi (i.e raw or sometimes only very briefly seared on the outside) can both be found on restaurant menus in japan, so I'm not entirely convinced that chicken produced in the right circumstances is that dangerous unless cooked to a crisp!

Yeah, but the Japanese also eat fugu... ;)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Regarding Heart,
Seems that's the way to go for me.
Soon as I get paid for my last big job its one of the above mentioned dihydrators for me.
I can live with it being a bit tough as I see 80% ending up in a stew.

xylaria

I haven't got the space or money for adehydrator, so I when I had to buy a new oven before christmas I bought a gorengje oven that has 50c setting and ventilates moisture. It works just like dehydrator and can heat from the bottom as well as the top, it just can do too good a job and can over dry things and make stuff a bit tough.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Ok, I find myself skint, and thanks to my airwolf and the harvest being finished on my main permission, I have a glut of rabbits so I'm considering making jerky out of 'em.

Have any of you actually tried rabbit jerky? I’m thinking the pre cooked fragrance of the bunny might taint the finished jerky. And while I have plenty of the little beggars available (the freezer is getting a little full) I’d hate to waste to many on an experiment…

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ok, I find myself skint, and thanks to my airwolf and the harvest being finished on my main permission, I have a glut of rabbits so I'm considering making jerky out of 'em.

Have any of you actually tried rabbit jerky? I’m thinking the pre cooked fragrance of the bunny might taint the finished jerky. And while I have plenty of the little beggars available (the freezer is getting a little full) I’d hate to waste to many on an experiment…

Never tried rabbit jerky.

Most of the rabbit smell comes from the scent glands at the base of the spine near the tail. If you remove the bottom few bones of the spine you will find that you remove much of that distictive scent.

Nice rifle mate :D What glass you got on top?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Never tried rabbit jerky.

Most of the rabbit smell comes from the scent glands at the base of the spine near the tail. If you remove the bottom few bones of the spine you will find that you remove much of that distictive scent.

Nice rifle mate :D What glass you got on top?

Hi HillBill thanks for the suggestion- that certainly gets rid of the majority of the pungency. However I’m concerned whether the curing process will take care of the rest... probably only one way to find out; offer a few up to the god of kitchen experimentation and see what happens. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks mate, it is a great rifle – and a major contributor to why I’m skint - never have been able to restrain myself when it comes to toys:p
I went with a Niko Targetmaster 6-25x56.

IMAGE_013.jpg

We’re veering a little away from the grub theme, but I have to ask; what’s your primary hunting combo?

P.S really need to dull down that moderator - never noticed how shiny it is 'till I took this photo...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I had to sell my rifles not long ago. Gutted does not come close.

My last set up was a theoben MFR with a cs800 thumbhole stock, and a Leupold VX3 3.5 - 10x50 ir scope. Best scope i ever had. Wasn't a big fan of the MFR though. TBH my best rifle was an AA S410k. They are nothing special when compared to Airwolfs, Mk4's etc but i just didn't miss anything with it. I do miss that gun. :D

I like yours :D I wanted a synthetic stock too, never had one though. How good is the CF silencer? I had a daystate mk3 A series which was one of the first 50 made. It was too nice to get dirty though, grade 4 walnut stock etc.

A good strong marinade will sort the pungency out on the rabbit i reckon. Soak it in it for at least 24 hours. Should be good. I fancy having a go at pigeon jerky too. I have no way to "harvest" any at the moment though. There going to be so weighed down with beech mast soon they will hardly be able to fly.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I'm sorry to hear that fella, I assume the sale was to fund the new cutlerer business?
Leupold do do some nice optics don't they? AA's are lovely weapons, and if you are hitting everthing you are aiming at then anything more is just bells and whistles really - though the bells on the wolf are pretty damn cool :) Strangely enough (as I'm only 5 miles from their factory) I've never gone the theoben route...

It's a FAC rated rifle but with the shroud and the MK IV silencer on it, to quote a mate "it's quieter than a sparrows fart"

Back to the jerky - I always do marinade for at least 24 hours, usualy longer, then I have my home made smoker that the strips get a good 2+ hour session in so I recon you're right and with the number of bunnies about at the moment I can probably afford to experiment on a couple and see what happens. I like the idea of pigeon as well - I'll have to see what I can rustle up...

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
And the jury is in and rabbit does jerky.

Surprisingly well - it dries alot faster than beef, has a lighter colour (though that could be the result of being a little more sparing with the marinade) the flavour is actualy less meaty than beef, if that makes sence; with beef jerky I always know I'm eating beef, but with the rabbit - I can't taste the meat, apart for perhaps a slight gamey aftertaste that seems to linger plesenlty in the background...

Verdict: Go blatt a bunny and turn him into jerky - you won't be dissapointed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE