Wilkinson Sword Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I bought another axe today......

I was in my local hardware shop (Mica hardware, St Andrews, Scotland), to buy some gas for my camping stove. I saw they had the Wilkinson Sword axes (mini hatchet, I think) that are barely more than 9 inches long (overall).
LIW588s.jpg

£14.99 I paid, very happy !!

I bought a similar size small hatchet on ebay recently (less than £5, delivered), but the WS axe is in a different league. It's made by Fiskars, so that makes it about the same as the Gerber range of axes, and we all know how much it costs to put a 'Gerber' label on a Fiskars axe....

Came with the 'carrying handle' head cover. The real revelation was when I got it home... The edge is sharper than many good knives I have owned, it is truly 'shaving sharp' right out of the shop !

I think they sharpen it, then spray on some kind of dull grey low friction coating, as the edge wasn't bright, but it was definitely there, under the coating.

In fact, at the moment, I could keep this axe sharp with a ceramic rod, it's a beautiful edge on a nice little axe.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I have (and now so does Black Sheep) a WS 2.5 lb axe and they are fab! (£20-25 depending on where you buy from).

Chris

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I have (and now so does Black Sheep) a WS 2.5 lb axe and they are fab! (£20-25 depending on where you buy from).

Chris
If they had a longer version, I'd have bought one of those as well ! I have a cheap 18" fibreglass handled axe from Screwfix (about £6), and it's 'ok' but lives in the car.

Based on my first impressions of WS/ Fiskars, I really need to find a 'big axe' soon.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Argos doing a hickory handled axe for less than a fiver atm, item # 700/1545

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That argos one doesn't look too bad, good enough for what I want anyway. Don't need one for heavy work, just the odd chop here and the odd chop there.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I bought the longer handled version of the WS a few weeks ago at my local Sunday market. Brand new and paid £8 for it. Well pleased I am!

As you say, almost shaving sharp!

Gareth

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have the Gerber, made by Fiskars. My wife bought it for me some years back. Like your Wilkinson, it came extremely sharp. It too had some sort of coating that made the edge look dull and not sharp, but it was like a good knife. Mine has held an edge very, very well. I use it a great deal, the short handle is actually a plus, I have never wished that it had a longer one.

It rides behind the seat in my truck all the time. You will be very happy with yours. That mysterious coating holds up very well by the way. mine is still intact except where the whetstones have took it off on the edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE