Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Did anyone go? How was it?
I really wanted to make it up there, but couldn't. :(
Definately be there next year!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good man Raz I have just come on to start a thread and here it is, all done :biggthump
I was there on Sat, it was quite busy for a first event. I got to talk to most of the people on the stalls and from the schools which was interesting.

I also got to talk to Steve "big nurse" Hi mate it was good to meet you. I had a look about for you later in the day but couldn't see you....next time!

I am going to be writing a review of the event so any opinions would be appreciated, good or bad...let's here it :super:

Everyone seemed happy and in good spirits, it really was a nice gathering of people with like interests. I think I will stay for the whole thing next year.

J

Jamie

As a newcomer to the bushcraft 'industry' I went to the Gathering as a way of talking to people to find the best way forward to doing some courses.

The whole event was exceptionally well organised (well done Roger et al!) and I was amazed at the cameraderie that was so evident. Everyone was so welcoming and helpful. So much so that I am definitely a convert to bushcraft and will be doing courses in the near future!

My only complaint (and its not so much a complaint as an observation) was that I think the Gathering was a victim of its own success. A lot of the skills workshops were so heavily attended that it made it difficult to actually learn anything or have a little hands on experience.

That being said, I will be going back next year - onwards and upwards!

Hi Guys,

I was there as well, and as part of the instructors-group there, I can offer you some insights on the event looking at it from our direction; as teachers. Oh, by the Way, I was the Dutch guy teaching flintknapping.

You are very right when you say that the workshops were way to busy! this was especially true on Saturday. (I had 75 people on my Saturday workshop) On Sunday the attendance to workshops was a bit lower. (About 20 to 30 per workshop). There are plans to lighten the load on the saturday workshops by having more workshops to choose from.

For everybody involved in organising this, it was VERY difficult to gauge how many people would attend, what they would attend, and so on... We have all learned now what to expect, and how to work to make things better.

If anybody on this forum joined my flint-knapping course, I wish to thank you very much for your attendance. it was really great to work with you all! Any questions, you know where to find me!

I would also like to stress that Roger was not alone in organising this event! Dominic has done a great lot!!
So... Thank you Roger and Dominic!

J

Jamie

I forgot to mention that the skill tasters were fantastic and taken very well by the instructors (Antonio's flint knapping included - a HUGE thank you to Antonio and ALL the other instructors).

As a complete newcomer, it has left me wanting so much more!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it was excellent. if i had to come up with a criticism, it would only be the kids being louder than the softly spoken instructors. i learnt loads.

cheers, and.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ditto to all the comments above - I was very impressed with it all and as I pointed out several times over the weekend I think it will go from strengths to strengths.

It was also good to meet several bushcraftuk members - and it was also nice to have a chance to do some short sharpening lectures (even though I was only there to help sell knives).

Well done to every one concerned.

And Roger - wheres the ventile?

A

Anonymous

Must agree with everyone else on this one!! So much knowledge there, I could of spent the whole day just talking. The instuctors were first class and I have always want to know how to split a stick with a billhook and this I was taught by very patient ( and polite!) instuctor by the name of Jack Beckett........thanks Jack, never new you can have so much fun learning how to make a hurdle, keep it up mate you inspired us all!

I came away thinking that the world is in safe hands with people from the bushcraft world.

A bit of critisiam.......only a weekend!

Well done to all and see you next year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE