Wilderness Gathering Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I'm going to be making some more knives for The Wilderness Gathering soon. They will be on similar lines to last years "bushtool" design. This year they'll be in O1 tool steel and won't be numbered as 11th isn't really an anniversary year.
As per last year we'll give one away as an advance booking door prize.
The reason for my post though is I'm stuck on what handle material to offer with them.
I want to make them all the same, prefer wood and Ideally would like curly birch but any worth using is becoming increasingly difficult to get. A native hardwood would be nice (don't say yew though, it makes me ill). Anybody got any suggestions?

Roger

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What about elm? A good hardwood and very beautiful. As on the other post, how many are you making and, if interested, how do we get hold of one?

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
How about apple or pear? Very British trees but a departure from the norm. No idea of availability, though.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Loving the ideas of the bog oak, oak, cherry, elm, walnut - yes I'd love to see sambar too :rolleyes:, but I'd like to throw sycamore into the mix as well if you don't mind. I've got a couple of heavy duty chopping boards and a rolling pin that was cut/turned by a local mill from some of the trees from westonbirt (ticks the locally sustainable) and the 'flaming/cushioning' (at least i think its the right term) found on all of the pieces is stunning, really mellow yellow in colour not to dissimilar to birch and durable/hard as can be

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Wilderness gathering always makes me think of apples, probably because of that bloke who always makes me buy cider from his cider stall .

So I vote apple wood :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Curses! Sadly, I won't be able to come to the 2013 event because I'll be in Greenland.

It's a good looking tool, though. Very like the Skookum Bush Tool in many ways.

Will you be making them in the years to come for sale at the Wilderness Gathering?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Yes, I'd have thought so.
You don't have to be there to get one though, the WG shop is open to all at anytime online.
Greenland, I've always fancied visiting there, have fun.
Roger

Curses! Sadly, I won't be able to come to the 2013 event because I'll be in Greenland.

It's a good looking tool, though. Very like the Skookum Bush Tool in many ways.

Will you be making them in the years to come for sale at the Wilderness Gathering?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE