Wilderness Gathering 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
ordered ticket yesterday :) first time going to a meet so thought hey why not the biggest lol!
completely new to bushcraft so this will be a massive learning curve.. any advice guys?

Spud

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Thats really sad to hear that. Its gone a bit far there! Next they'll be checking all the customers for polyester and nylon kit and barring entry! What about the workshops they run each year on Vehicle survival?

Also can see food stalls being more pricey too! Is Martin's jerked meat going? Sure he's not organic...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wow, will be interested to here any response to this from any organisers or anyone heavily involved in the show. please don't think I'm belittling your thoughts or feelings Scorpio but I wouldn't want make a decision without there being two sides.

EDIT: just to add ronnies isn't sponsored by RM they just sell 5.11 clothes in the range that has his name on it.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
all news to me this. I guess I must be organic enough for them, but I'll ask around and see if anybody else has had similar problems? Is there any chance that you've got the wrong end of the stick? Roger is a very shrewd businessman, so I can't see this being a very bright move for the coffers

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nowt on the site Scorpio ! ? However, you do go on to say that ' What they don't tell you is...''
WG is one of the highlights of the year for me, always a great crowd, loads for old faces and a chance to meet new ones.
I am sure Roger will sort this all out.
Spud, DO come ! You will have a great time mate ! Come and say hi, I will be helping out with our own Dave Budd.
My best.
Chris.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Guess reasoning is army surplus=recycled. Less impact? Not checked traders list this year as going Moot instead.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Well as you said..quite a rant but there you go! Along with many others here I've enjoyed the Gathering since it was started up and hope to do so again. Have you discussed all this with Roger..? because purely from the point of selling equipment this is all rather puzzling. I'd strongly encourage you to talk to Roger if you haven't. (Note: I have no benefit to gain other than as a happy punter)

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
' morning Scorpio (Jordan)

Iteresting comments you've made there.
Just to clarify here.
A) In your enquiries with us you seemed to be a bit vague about what you are selling, Most of you know we work hard to keep the "flavour" of The Gathering as it is and an enquiry from a second hand landrover dealers talking about roof tents and kit brings to mind large corporate events such as The Landrover show. We don't want to go down that road.
B) When you mentioned putting your flyers under everybodys windscreen wipers in the car park, that sealed it. We really don't want that at all. It's offensive and intrusive.

The term organic isn't literal it's just the approach we strive to take.

That's why we turned you away.

Best Regards
Roger

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Mmm...I think it's a shame that this forum has been hijacked in the name of someone expressing their frustration because they are denied a commercial opportunity and I would have thought it against the ethos of the forum. Aren't makers/traders supposed to join a separate category?

I enjoy meeting members and Mods there every year...we've a nice little routine after 8 years (I think) and it's a great shame that ordinary members who enjoy debating what's good or otherwise about the Gathering should have to read about something which is nothing to do with the merits of an event which most of us enjoy. Hopefully someone will decide whether this is relevant...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How has the forum been hijacked? he doesn't trade here so doesn't need to be logged in as one? should a forum not allow people to discuss conflicting points of view and hopefully iron out any misunderstandings?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Just seems to be to be two extraordinarily long posts slagging off the Gathering having not been accepted as a trader. I guess because I enjoy the Gathering for what it is (along with many others here) I didn't warm to the tone of this nor the many angles of criticism. It was proclaimed as a self confessed "rant" which went to some length to disparage a show enjoyed by many hundreds and I don't see how it helps the average punter to decide upon the merits of the show. It's a matter for the Gathering organiser and Scorpio and whether they enter into a commercial relationship or not IMHO....hopefully a Moderator will decide if it's reasonable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE