Wilderness Gathering 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi All,

Thinking ahead to September 2006. I went to the Wilderness Gathering 2005, with my wife and two kids, and although it was a great weekend, it will be quite expensive to go again this year. (£70.00 x 2, + £35.00 x 2, = £210.00)

Have the organisers considered the possibility of a "family pass" for the weekend, which would be less than the combined cost of two adults, and two children. I would love to go this September with the family, but the costs might mean I have to go on my own. :(

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i think children should be charged double
leave them at home
lol
no seriously i can imagine thats quite a lay out of cash in one go but on balance it is a whole weekend of activitys and judging from last year there was a lot to do for the little ones so when you compare the price of entertaining the little ones all weekend i do not think its an outragous cost at all .
how did you feel about the value for money side of things ? did you feel there was enough for the kiddies to do ?
do you feel the event ballanced out the family friendly and catering for the non family elements ?

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi,

My family is into camping, but not particularly interested in bushcraft. Once we had rigged up the tent, and the kitchen area, my wife was quite happy to sit and read for most of the weekend.

The kids went to the knife safety session, and then spent the rest of the weekend on the slide, and buying ice-creams.

So really, it was just me that attented the sessions. Having younger children means at least one of us needed to be within earshot of them just in case. It would have been unfair of me to leave the children with the missus for the whole weekend, so a couple of workshops I would like to have gone too, I ended up missing.

For an individual it's a fair price, but for a partner who is happy to sit and read, and two young children (6 & 4), the cost is not inconsiderable.

TC

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Now don’t take this the wrong way, but perhaps you should attend without the family.

As you say, it’s quite an expensive weekend and you aren’t getting as much out of it for yourself as could because of your family being there, let alone the value for your wife and kids.

Maybe you could take them away for a separate camping weekend and then attend the WG by yourself. It would probably work out cheaper and you would probably feel happier as on the family weekend you could devote all your time to your loved ones…

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Good point,

I think I may well end up doing that, but overall my concern is that it becomes unaffordable for those with young families, who might otherwise go.

I appreciate the effort and hard work that goes into organising such an event, and hope that as many people can attend as possible. It would be a shame though if it ended up being just couples, or singles, rather than families who attended, as it has a great relaxed atmosphere.

Just my 2cents worth.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Topcat02 said:
I appreciate the effort and hard work that goes into organising such an event, and hope that as many people can attend as possible. It would be a shame though if it ended up being just couples, or singles, rather than families who attended, as it has a great relaxed atmosphere.

That's also a good point.... :)

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Hi,

I've never been to a wilderenss gathering but i am planning on going this year, I really dont know what to expect, where it is etc etc can anyone point me to a place where i can get the info?

cheers
Scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE