Wilderness 1-2-1 10th Anniversary BCUK First Aid Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
This course is designed for group leaders working in remote areas. The
course is recognised by all outdoor governing bodies e.g. MLTB, BCU, IRATA, RYA etc. as well as exceeding the recommendations for the HSE Approved Emergency First Aid at Work certificate - which is valid for 3 years. You may even be able to get your employer to stump up the funds.

The course includes the following subjects, but can be expanded to cover topics that the group require – please drop me a PM or email if you have any specific requirements:

• Aims & Responsibilities of the First Responder
  • Priorities of Treatment
  • Primary & Secondary Assessment
  • Adult Resuscitation
  • Airway Obstruction
  • Bleeding
  • Shock
  • Basic Remote Fractures
  • Expedition Hygiene
  • Wilderness Burns
  • Extremes of Temperature
  • Remote Fractures
  • Spinal Injuries
  • Altitude Medicine
  • Evacuation Techniques
  • Bites & Stings
  • Tropical Medicine
  • Common Disorders

The course is designed for people who might have to spend longer with the casualty and consider potential evacuation and rescue of casualties. Although certificaction is at a basic level with regards the HSE minimum requirements for the worplace, the course goes much, much further. We will also be including peadiatric coverage in the course - especially with relation to resuscitation. Basically, something ideal for the well prepared bushcrafter or someone travelling to more remote places.

We will have you up and about a lot during the course, with as many scenarios as we can muster with the Wilderness 1-2-1 team putting their acting abilities to the test. You will be put under stress and made to improvise and think outside the box. There will be plenty of time spent around the camp fire swapping tales of the unexpected from time in the great outdoors.

The course will run from a Friday evening until the Sunday afternoon and will cost £100, which will include all certification and materials. We will provide you with lunch on Saturday and Sunday and a hot meal on Saturday night. A well stocked brew box will be in operation at all times throughout the course.

Camping is included within the cost and there will be water available on site. We will also have at least one bush shower in operation - so bring a towel.

The course will be limited to 12 students.

The course will run from friday afternoon on the 12th March 2010 until the Sunday afternoon (14th March). The location will be near Henfield, in West Sussex.

Last edited:

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Rob, I'm very interested, but I just need to confirm that this is going to be acceptable to someone else first. Assuming that they are, I'm in. It'll be goot to catch up with you, Mel and the gang.

Chris

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Please count me in.....
This is perfect as it will benefit both the outdoor Scout activities and Search and Rescue side of things....

Please let me know when you need deposits etc....

Date depending

Korvin Karbon
atross
Leonidas

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
The course looks really good. Not to flame you but as a First Aid at Work & Defib Instructor I would like to clarify that the new Emergency First Aid at Work does not replace Appointed Person. The new set of HSE approved coursesas of 1st October 2009 are;

3 Day First Aid at Work
Emergency First Aid at Work (1 day)
Appointed Person (1 day)

Not being picky but wanted to make people aware as some may feel that their AP course was no longer valid.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
The course looks really good. Not to flame you but as a First Aid at Work & Defib Instructor I would like to clarify that the new Emergency First Aid at Work does not replace Appointed Person. The new set of HSE approved coursesas of 1st October 2009 are;

3 Day First Aid at Work
Emergency First Aid at Work (1 day)
Appointed Person (1 day)

Not being picky but wanted to make people aware as some may feel that their AP course was no longer valid.

No worries. A lot of providers no longer offer the appointed persons course due to the new HSE guidance. There is a lot less call for the AP course as it is quite basic compared to what you get with the EFAW course - which adds more skills and ability to act to your armoury. Non HSE approved centres can not run the 3 day First Aid at Work or the EFAW courses. This is probably a major reason in the move away from AP by people like St John.

For the NGBs who require outdoor training courses - they require a course of at least 16 hours, by an approved centre - which is usually going to be build around the AP or EFAW requirents, plus some.

Training at whatever the level is always a good thing -especially when it comes to dealing with incidents.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Thanks Nigel.

It looks like the only pre-easter date that I can accomodate is the one stated earlier 12-14 March.

Drop me a PM and I will try and hook you up with another member of the ECP faculty that might be able to help.

If not, I will extend the discount offered on this course to any other First Aid Course that we run this year - we should be running another one at this level in the summer, as well as a more advanced course that will be held over 5 days.

All the best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE