Wild Camping With the Pooch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Afternoon Guys,

not really sure where this should go, so if I've posted in the wrong place, let me know!

When the warmer weather arrives, maybe April onwards, I'm thinking of starting to take my springer pup camping with me. Does anyone have any tips? Obviously I want to keep weight to a minimum but I don't want him to be cold at night either! He'll be in the tent (Vango Banshee 300) with me, obviously i'll have my own matt and sleeping bag etc, but what do you guys use for your dogs? do you put them in a jumper? Will just a blanket be enough for them to sleep on in a jumper? Have to remember everything i'll be taking for him, i'd have to carry, so it's not like I can take a full blown bed and loads of extra sleeping stuff for him. fortunately I don't think i'll have to have him tied to anything as he'll no doubt just curl up near my feet when sitting around at night, he doesn't tend to run off and if he does it's never far away! He'll be about 10 months old in April

Open to all suggestions :)

Reactions: KenThis

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
My springers just wear a fleece jacket if needed on a blanket on the floor, generally they are in the hammock with me so the floor blanket is normally surplus to requirement. I hope you are not expecting much sleep, one of mine is constantly on guard. Not noisy but alert. She patrols camp when I'm up and sits up for any noise when its head down time.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm bias but I think Springers are one of the best dogs around and great company. I just make sure mine has good ground insulation; she's happy in her fur coat.

However, in the woods in April, you have to be a bit careful and responsible. Springers are natural foragers and flushers and can cause a lot of disturbance to ground dwelling and nesting birds and mammals. Even in my own wood I keep mine on a lead or at heel. She'll come in at the first whistle (two short 'pips' is traditional to bring a spaniel in - but you probably already know that :) ) but that's too late for a nesting woodcock. My advice would be to get the pup used to being kept close and even on a tether if you are busy around the camp; you can't keep your eye on him all the time. If he's used to it from the beginning he'll be fine.

I know others will disagree but if we want to take our place in the wild I believe we have to take responsibility for causing as little disturbance as possible.

Just my two-pence worth :)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I can never take my dog out into the woods with me overnight because she never settles and barks at any small disturbance. You are prob doing the best thing by training your pup early on to be in the woods with you at night which is something I never did. We always encouraged her to guard our house and the camp is just an extension of that.

The reason I'm out there in the first place is to experience nature first hand and there's no way I would have a chance of seeing deer etc. with the dog around so unfortunately I have to leave her at home but I do like the idea of a dog keeping me warm in my tent.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Watching this with interest as I'll be taking my Border terrier camping as soon as I can.
At the moment she sleeps on my duvet, on my feet. I'll be hammocking so I expect her to do pretty much the same.
I'll take a small blanket just in case.
I'm thinking a muzzle and tether would be good for mine as she gets into everything at the moment.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
When I took mine CollieXLab out for an overnighter under a tarp, she carried her own kibble and water and I took an Italian army blanket as a bed for her. I made her a nice raised bushie cot for her, just like mine, padded it with plenty of ferns then put the blanket on top of that.....

She happily slept on the wet ground.

Ingrate.

In the future, unless it's particularly cold, I will just take a bit of foam mat for her and she can carry that herself.

Reactions: KenThis and Nice65

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Took one of my flat coats away last night, we ground slept under a tarp. He was a bit bemused by the whole process but once he realised that this was where we were staying he settled down, he's 4 now and it was a bit of a trial, he's not taken to camping in the past. I took one of their memory foam mats and cut a cheap roll mat to size and he kipped on that, I had to coax him on as it was all a bit different. Going by how tired he was today he didn't really sleep although he settled down fine, I draped a towel and my spare fleece over him but probably unnecessary.

Give it a go, if you're wild camping then you'll probably not wee anyone else off as opposed to a campsite. I took a corkscrew tether just in case but didn't need it, he's a good boy now, when he was younger though.....

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Update, just spent 4 nights up on the west bank of Loch Striven and it was pretty cold and windy. We had made raised larch pole beds with moss mattresses and I shared mine with her, acting as a back stop. I took a cheap backed picnic blanket for under her, she wore a fleece and I threw my jumper and a windproof jacket over her and she was definitely warm enough. There were quite a few sheep around at the lower levels this time of year and as a collieX not trained with farm animals she had to remain tethered to the cots.

Reactions: KenThis

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Going by how tired he was today he didn't really sleep although he settled down fine

I don't think they do, it's very much back to basics for them so they keep an ear open all night. Mine just turn into porridge when they get back from a few nights camping. :lmao:

96907_F5_F-_B815-4087-94_FB-8_C770_B6_DE1_AF.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I haven't camped with Aquilo yet although he's been plenty of places withe me on day trips and has taken to the canoe.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have followed this thread with much interest.
I have a working sprocker spaniel(5 1/2 months) who is never far from my side. We have just returned from a walk around my local woods. So far he always returns instantly to his whistle. Not hit the rebellious stage yet!
I intend to camp a night in the garden and see how he gets on.
Regards,
Preper..... :)

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Last year i headed to loch sween with the dog to camp for a night or two. After reaching where i was going to camp, i had a sit down beside her and noticed she was crawling with ticks in her hair. I pulled about 20 off at that point,none attached , and decided to return home, no chance i was sharing the tent and sleeping bag now!
It sort of stops me taking her again during the warmer months.

So does anyone here take any precautions in the summer when sharing with a potentially tick infested dog?

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
I have followed this thread with much interest.
I have a working sprocker spaniel(5 1/2 months) who is never far from my side. We have just returned from a walk around my local woods. So far he always returns instantly to his whistle. Not hit the rebellious stage yet!
I intend to camp a night in the garden and see how he gets on.
Regards,
Preper..... :)
I had both of mine away when they were about 1 and while the girl settled, the boy was wanting to investigate every noise etc. It was on a proper campsite as the missus was involved and needed 'facilities', our two nights away ended up as one as we were getting stressed trying to keep the dogs chilled. Roll on a few years and he's a lot calmer. And obedient. :) If your one doesn't take to it at a young age he might still come good for it.

kenhills

Dec 14, 2012
Scotland
Always get my dog sorted with his own packso he can carry food, bed and bag - both by Ruffwear - the bed fits into the bag so it all stays together. Works a treat and makes for a very cosy night
IMG_3390.jpgIMG_3440.jpg

Reactions: Artic Bob and Chomp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE